Join now - be part of our community!

5 IV compass issue, 90-120 degrees off and won't calibrate beyond low in Google maps

SOLVED
profile.country.SE.title
Pernas

5 IV compass issue, 90-120 degrees off and won't calibrate beyond low in Google maps

Hi!

Just a quick checkup if I can get a confirmation that this is an hardware issue with the design of the 5 IV compass since my new fully updated and factory restored 5 IV can't get a proper compass reading (often 90-120 degrees off). Compass calibration within Google maps still shows low regardless of attempts being made.

This is at a place where both an iPhone 14 and a Galaxy S23 works perfect with the compass.

/Per

23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.DE.title
Aquarius
Explorer
profile.country.SE.title
Pernas

Ok thanks, I don't think you could blame the ak0991x alone since it's being used in many phones with good results including the 1 IV(!)

However, without getting too technical the implementation is also very important. Some rumours indicates that the 1IV to 5IV "shrink" could be the cause of this and it's most likely not repeated with the 5 V at least. 

profile.country.DE.title
Aquarius
Explorer

The problem was solved by the Android 14 update.

I was able to return the smartphone and being refunded after three repair attempts still running on Android 13.

I am shocked that SONY put such a crap on the market! 🤢

However I am happy with the successor Xperia 5 V 👍

profile.country.SE.title
Pernas

Ok that’s good to know but still horrible treatment of customers nowadays…