Join now - be part of our community!

Android OS update policy for Xperia phones?

K.r.a.s.h
New

Android OS update policy for Xperia phones?

Hi!

I'm considering to buy the Xperia 5 III, but I wonder if there is any official pledge or policy regarding android OS updates? Its hard to beat Pixel phones and Galaxy that has at least 3 years android OS updates (and some more security updates). Would love if that would be the case with Sony too!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Sony has maintained about 2 years of updates in recent years.

My Xperia 1 has traveled from Android 9 to Android 11 and I'm convinced that is the end of the line and it won't get Android 12.

If course I'm hoping Sony will change its policy and render support for 3 years.

profile.country.GB.title
Preytheon

100% agree that they really need 3 years if they want anybody to buy them (outright or as part of a mobile/cell contracts).

As the cost of the phones has gone up, a lot of the mobile carriers are now getting people to sign up to 36 month contracts to spread the cost.... so if a phone doesn't have software support and updates for that long, it won't be popular (which means less revenue from them and less money to fund even 2 years of updates)...  why would people want to sign up to paying for a phone for 3 years, but they'll still be paying for the phone for 12 months after the software updates stop?

I normally buy mine outright, but I still like the option to keep it for ~3yrs OR if they only provide 2 years, then I'll root it and run an AOSP build like LineageOS that DOES stay updated... but Sony seem to block that (can't re-install Sony camera software after rooting, etc)... and that option is only really well supported on the most popular phones, but when it does, it is REALLY supported: I can still see Lineage updates for the ~9yr old Samsung Galaxy S3 up to 26-AUG-2021 - i.e. THIS WEEK).

I know I'm a niche use-case in how I'm willing to try those solutions, but it is out of necessity... NOT desire... I'd much rather just buy a new phone every few years that gives a clean OS install that I can control and OS updates for the 3-4 year life of the phone.