Join now - be part of our community!

Fingerprint sensor unlocking without pressing button.

profile.country.RU.title
vapgames
Explorer

Fingerprint sensor unlocking without pressing button.

Hello,

I recently upgraded from Xperia X Compact to Xperia 5ii.

One of my problems is that previously to unlock the phone you had to press the button and only after that it would scan the finger.

In new version it unlocks if you just touch the button before you even pressed it. It's very annoying, cause it unlocks every time i try to put the phone in my pocket, or take it out.

For now i solved it with registering only the very tip of my thumb, so it only unlocks when i'm holding thumb perpendicular to the button.

But i would really appreciate seeing some kind of option setting to not scan fingers when the screen is off.

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Well, there is a huge difference between the functions of the Xperia X compact and the 5 ll, the development of the fingerprint function between both of the devices have gone through a lot, from a scanner with the power button that you have to press on it in order to scan your fingerprint to a surface scanner on the back of the phone that can read your fingerprint once you just move your finger across the scanner. The latest fingerprint scanners are that sensitive, they're good in situations when you want to reach something on your device quickly without waiting for the delay for seconds for your fingerprint to be recognized, but it's bad when the phone gets unlocked unintentionally just when you're simply holding the phone or trying to put in your pocket. I guess it's just adapting with the speed of the new technology that we're facing with smartphones these days, but it will be a good option having something like stages for recognition on the fingerprint settings on the phone to prevent unlocking the phone randomly. I think they'll be the first if they do it as i don't believe it's even available on the other smartphones.

profile.country.RU.title
vapgames
Explorer

Yea, i want the options.

Current design for me it doesn't quite make sense, it's a physical button i only want it to work when i press it.

profile.country.FI.title
vemikko
Explorer

Hokay. So. I upgraded from XZ1 Compact to 5 III and it's really annoying that the screen opens many times when trying to put the phone to the pocket. I feel the vibration and I have to take the phone out again, press the power button to turn off the screen and put it carefully to the pocket and try not to touch the power button in any way.

I don't think there is a good use case for reading the fingerprints and unlocking the screen without pressing the power button first. To me the current way is very user-hostile.

At least there should be an option to require the power button to be pressed before fingerprint is read and the screen is unlocked. This is the way it used to work and makes much more sense to me.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hi there,

You can go to settings> display> advanced> Prevent accidental operations with screen off. Make sure that this option is enabled.

Also, if you have the Ambient display ( Always-on-display) is enabled, you will find that your screen powers on by itself but it shouldn't take any action unless you press on power button. You can turn it off if you don't need it though.

profile.country.FI.title
vemikko
Explorer

Prevent accidental operations with screen off is something I had to turn off as soon as I started using the phone. That's because the phone was always preventing me from starting the camera, which I use mostly by holding the phone with two hands. And prevention option doesn't even stop the display from unlocking when putting the phone in pocket.

I still think there should be an option to require power button to be pressed before fingerprint is read.

vemikko_0-1641886092717.png

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Ok, what about the ambient display ?

profile.country.FI.title
vemikko
Explorer

I tried with Always on, Smart activation (this is the one I normally use) and Off options and none of them has effect on fingerprint sensor logic.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

No, the fingerprint criteria can't be changed as it's something within specs, it can be to slow to respond sometimes or very sensitive. But as long as the test is saying that the sensor is OK, then I'm afraid this is within the phone specs.

profile.country.FI.title
vemikko
Explorer

Yes, no one said it's too slow to respond. People on this thread just don't like its logic. To many users the current way is user-unfriendly. I've got the Android 12 update and there is no change in this behaviour.

It's a button, we want to press it. I've got Xperia XZs and Xperia XZ1 Compact they never unlocked the screen when I tried to put them to my pocket or any other time. And why is that? Because it reads the fingerprint only after the display is turned on by pressing the power button. Maybe always-on fingerprint reader would work with models that has the reader on back or front of the device where you don't hold it normally. Or maybe I'm holding the phone wrong like people did with that old iPhone.

I've tried to change the unlock finger from index finger to middle finger but that just caused problems since phone tries to read my index finger which naturally lands on the power button. Then I tried to unlock the device with middle finger and I just get the following message: "Too many attempts. Please wait 30 seconds and try again.". And that message is only shown when the power button is pressed.

Compared to XZs and XZ1 Compact the Xperia 5 iii is not noticeable faster to unlock the screen and there is no need for "waiting for the delay for seconds". They both unlock instantly when pressing the power button.

All this could be solved if there was an option to require screen to be turned on with the power button before fingerprint is used to unlock the screen. Then it would work the way it works with older models with fingerprint reader on power button.