Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia 5 ii - switching from Z5 Compact

Alin_M
Explorer

Sony Xperia 5 ii - switching from Z5 Compact

Hi!

I just retired my old-long serving smartphone, Sony Xperia Z5 Compact (since summer 2016), a couple of weeks ago and moved to a new Sony Xperia 5 II Grey. Its look in Grey variant is astonishing.

I am very pleased with the upgrade, even if it is way taller than what I have been used to (127mm vs 158mm) and a bit slippery (matte-polycarbonate back + plastic-frame vs glossy glass back + polished aluminium-frame).

Now some things I missed, maybe related to Android 7 vs 11, Sony's abandoning some superb apps etc

1. Album app with editing features missing: I know it was 'killed years ago' but it is the only app you need for photo/video view/playback and quick-edits (rotate, crop).

2. There is no "Clear Bass" in the EQ and no Headphone/Studio/Concert Hall sound reproduction for AUX settings. I found something in the Music Center App but with no effects; maybe they are for Bluetooth devices only? However, a return of these features in a future update would be awesome as it would give more personalisation of sound output via AUX. One thumbs up: 5ii's stereo speakers are awesome!

3. Xperia Keyboard was awesome for me. The new G-Keyboard is a bit 'Samsung-ish'. I tried with an APK from Xperia Keyboard, but it doesn't work.

Other things that have annoyed me a little:

A. No NFC toggle in the notification menu! Android 4.1.2 (Xperia P) has this, Android 7 has this (Xperia Z5 Compact); Android 11 doesn't...Weird! Should be an evolving process.

B. If you limit battery charging capacity to 80%/90%, then the phone would not reset usage data after charging up. Example: Last charging, Screen time etc; That is annoying. As a suggestion, make 80/90% when choosed to be seen as 100% by OS.

Make. Believe.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

2 answers for your questions.

- I love the simple apps f.e. simple gallery, or has all the features you need.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.gallery.pro

- NFC toggle van be found when you edit the menu.

Screenshot_20211204-192426.png

 The pencil.