Join now - be part of our community!

WiFi Calling on Android 12

profile.country.GB.title
BillyBong11

WiFi Calling on Android 12

Hi 

My Xperia 5 ii has just updated to Android 12 and I have lost WiFi calling.  Due to lack on network signal where I live I rely on WiFi calling. 

I have checked my network (Vodafone) and I still have WiFi calling enabled, but when I try to make a call it struggles with the network until it just cuts me off.

I have read all the guidance on how to set it up but they only cover up to Android 11. The WiFi calling options have "disappeared".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

34 REPLIES 34
profile.country.GB.title
Corruptedminds

Strange, they have the xperia 5 on their website as one of the handsets that supports it. Looks like something didn't go right, I mean they could have assigned the wrong details or whatever..did you provide them the device variant name as well? Also did you have wifi on at the time at home and rebooted the handset I assume? I mean I didn't need to reboot, it just worked. You don't find it through settings but through the Phone settings bit, oddly enough.

profile.country.GB.title
BillyBong11

Yes they have the exact model details 

Not sure if it is cos I bought it direct from Sony and not Vodafone. 

Yes I go through phone settings as pic attached nothing to suggest WiFi calling.

Screenshot_20220330-192405.png

profile.country.GB.title
Corruptedminds

Ah I see. Yeah I also got it from the Sony webstore. I mean unless you have accidentally declined that Oma prompt, but otherwise that screen suggests it's not installed 😕

profile.country.GB.title
MythicSuns

My Xperia was bought unlocked from Amazon and I bought my own ASDA Mobile sim. ASDA's role is basically just offering better tariffs whilst vodafone handles the rest, so if Wi-Fi calling works on an ASDA Mobile sim it should work on a Vodafone sim. Having said that I should mention that everything I said earlier is based on observation. As far as I can tell the March security update should fix things, but as I said, I don't know this for sure. 

profile.country.GB.title
BillyBong11

Ok thanks, that sounds promising, I suppose I wait for the March update, whilst still getting on to Sony and Vodafone.😀

profile.country.GB.title
ulrichvw
Explorer

I've spent many an hour on the phone to Vodafone and Sony to resolve this issue on my Xperia 5 II. I have been sent many OMA configuration messages, factory reset twice, tried all of Vodafone's suggestions. I'm at the end of my tether!    

If anyone has an Xperia 5 II on Vodafone with working WiFi calling please speak up?

profile.country.GB.title
SONYUSER251
Explorer

It is naturally resolved for my Xperia 5 II as expected thanks to latest software security update from Sony. I don't know if it was Sony's or Vodafone's fault but it seems to be working after all.

Update > Restrart > Accept OMA Client Provisioning > Turn on the flight mode to check if WiFi calling works 

To cross check it, you can go to Phone > Three dots up right > Settings > Calling accounts and you should see WiFi calling if it is all good and the toggle should be on.

profile.country.GB.title
BillyBong11

Thought it looked promising when I got the update system message this morning, but alas no.

Updated to 58.2.A.2.80 but no WiFi calling.

Screenshot_20220331-101622.png

Screenshot_20220331-101614.png

profile.country.GB.title
MythicSuns

@SONYUSER251 I think it's a little bit of both; I had the same issue with my ASDA mobile sim (ASDA being a partner of Vodafone) but not with my EE sim, in fact the EE sim seemed to make it available just a few seconds after it was inserted into the phone. The reason I pin it on both is because Google and/or Sony could've potentially made the necessary adjustments needed to allow networks like Vodafone to use their method of providing Wi-Fi Calling, but at the same time it's hard not to ask how EE can manage to make the process so easy and painless whilst networks like Vodafone can't

Honestly I think there needs to be more of a universal standard when it gets to Wi-Fi Calling provisions by a network carrier, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if there's a few legal hoops that need to be jumped through for such a thing to be possible. 

profile.country.GB.title
ulrichvw
Explorer

58.2.A.2.80 arrived and installed today.

Had to go into my Vodafone account and turn WiFi calling off, restart the phone, turn WiFi calling on in the account, accept the new OMA that arrived and we're back in business. WiFi calling option is available again! 🙂