Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 5 iii Power menu without power button

profile.country.GB.title
Troke83
New

Xperia 5 iii Power menu without power button

So I got my Xperia 5 iii a couple of weeks ago and generally I'm very happy, my third Sony phone and pretty much what I expected.

Today I encountered a problem, the power button won't respond. The fingerprint scanner still works and its only because of this, that I can still use the phone.

My issue is that I do not know if this is a software glitch that I can clear with a reboot or a hardware fault, because I cannot reboot the phone with a broken power button!

I have been told that other manufacturers using Android make provision for this but I can't see that Sony do, even the scheduled power down and up function seems to be missing. Android 12 is adding the power menu shortcut to the quick settings but that does not help me till it gets rolled out on Sony phones.

It seems an oversight, to have such a fundamental function dependant on one button working with no back up, unless I am missing something? Anyone with any ideas? I am stumped and frustrated that I cannot reboot easily. 

My service provider said they would replace the device with a new one as it is so new, they will treat it as a factory fault. I just need to go to their store tomorrow with the box it came in. But if I can fix this with a simple reboot then I would prefer to do that. 

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Troke83,

the first workaround which comes to mind would be to let the battery run to 0%.

Charging it then will initiate a reboot.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Troke83
New

Hi Nic

Thank you for your suggestion.

I did consider that, when I plug in the charger would it boot up automatically?

My fear with it is that because the power button is not responding, if the reboot does not fix it, will I be unable to turn it on? 

After sleeping on it I think I'm just going to take up my service providers offer to replace the device. That only stands for 30 days form the date of purchase. If I don't replace it and it then becomes a persistent problem I will kick myself.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Troke83,

yes, Sony phones always reboot when charged. If aside from your power button nothing else is broken, you will see the Sony logo upon plugging in the power cord when the device has shut down because of an empty battery.

- Nic