Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 5ii Music App

profile.country.GB.title
Mstansmith

Xperia 5ii Music App

The stock 'Music' app now longer has the ability to collect album art anymore and using any 3rd party apps I find can only do it song by song. I am an avid audio enthusiast and have many hundreds of albums/folders including Hi Res audio ripped from the PS-HX500 and downloaded from sites such as Qobuz along with FLAC files and some MP3.

It is far too onerous a task to do this for all my music and I am gutted that I am looking at other apps for the music as they all seem a bit buggy.

Poweramp has the ability to collect artwork from the internet so I wondered why the Sony native app has stopped this capability?

I like the sound from the native app and can only assume that the phone is tuned to work best through this as one of it's target audience are audiophiles. USB Audio Player Pro seems quite good but the tweaks are fiddly and when I listen to the different apps with my Hi Res headphones I think the stock app sound is on par with this but without the glitches.

Sony, please re-introduce Gracenote back into the app or take a leaf from the system that Poweramp uses, it's the right thing to do for your dedicated Xperia fans of more than 6 years from the 'Z' onwards. 

I don't think I should be using 3rd party apps for such a core function as Music really.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Yeah it's a bit of a disappointment.

The app I've been using for album art is one I've used for years on different devices.

Album art grabber.

Will auto search for art and allow you to manually choose ones it isn't 100% sure on.

profile.country.GB.title
Mstansmith

Unfortunately that doesn't work either. I have another app I've used over the years but it seems it's either an Android or Sony thing. You can download the art in Album grabber or another app and it shows that it has been retrieved but when you view it in the 'Music' app it is still missing. 

Come on Sony, finger out for the fans please. These are basics, the stock Music app should be there to cater for the obsessives & audio biffs like me. 

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hi there, did you try to do any troubleshooting steps on the app to see if it will change anything ?

profile.country.GB.title
Mstansmith

Hi there,

Thanks for replying but there aren't any troubleshooting options.

Cheers,

Mike
profile.country.DE.title
s3ta2a
New

Furthermore the indexing is broken - I got a large collection on sd-card. Some albums are divided w/ a couple of tracks contained in the correct "album" the rest of the tracks is contained in an "album" named like the folder - which basically renders the app useless for me, if I can't play an complete album in order. I already tried deleting cache + files and re-indexing - the problem stays. 

I double-checked the tags as well - which seem correct. 3rd party apps index the files correctly...

Version 9.4.8.A.0.19 + Android 11 Build 58.1.A.5.330 

My Xperia X compact - identical version of Music App - Android 8 - Build 34.4.A.2.118 has a different problem: Some covers are not read from the files and are consequently not shown - not even in "Musikinfos bearbeiten" (edit tags).

Strange enough - the album/folder doesn't appear 

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hi there,

Try to check these links regarding the music app on Xperia 5 ll:

https://bit.ly/3jcRpZl

https://bit.ly/3rM2aWo

profile.country.DE.title
s3ta2a
New

Really??? Your advice is to play music in the background? Editing the tags of files which other apps scan correctly? And re-enabling DSEE which I disabled since other apps (youtube iirc)  lagged?

INDEXING OF THE APP IS BROKEN!!!

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Happy to see a Zappa fan here.

My ringtone is Son of Mr. Green Genes.

profile.country.GB.title
Mstansmith

Likewise Strampke, 'Willie The Pimp' for me.

I now play all my music using Poweramp because the stock one is unusable for me without the artwork.

Has anyone found a work around yet?