Join now - be part of our community!

ADVICE: Should I buy the SEL85F14GM or SEL2470GM?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
JapanMan2
Contributor

ADVICE: Should I buy the SEL85F14GM or SEL2470GM?

Hi guys, 

I do photography as a hobby and have been saving up for quite some time now but am at a brick wall as I can only afford one of the two lenses: 85mm 1.4 or 24-70 2.8.

Whichever one I go for, I would use, which is why it's so hard to choose.

Below is a list of current lenses I use and I'm hoping someone will be able to recommend which one I should go for based on what I already have; any tips would be awesome.

- 16-35 f/4
- 28mm f/2
- 55mm f/1.8
- 90mm f/2.8 macro

I own an A7M2 camera if that helps.

Thank guys! :wink:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

In my opinion, save yourself a bucket load of money, and get the FE 70-300 4.0, as you do not have anything long in your lens collection, also for the sensor size of your camera, the 24-70 4.0 is a perfect match for the a7mk11 . I have both of these lenses and the same camera, and the PQ is fantastic. don't forget with 5 axis stableisation, you can get pin sharp images using a slower shutter speed in low light, which some what negates the need for a lower f stop.But all this of course, is down to what you normally take pictures of. I would buy the lenses you are thinking of  if i had the A7s or R, due to the much larger sensor size Just to add, the bokeh on the 4.0 is very good hope this helps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

In my opinion, save yourself a bucket load of money, and get the FE 70-300 4.0, as you do not have anything long in your lens collection, also for the sensor size of your camera, the 24-70 4.0 is a perfect match for the a7mk11 . I have both of these lenses and the same camera, and the PQ is fantastic. don't forget with 5 axis stableisation, you can get pin sharp images using a slower shutter speed in low light, which some what negates the need for a lower f stop.But all this of course, is down to what you normally take pictures of. I would buy the lenses you are thinking of  if i had the A7s or R, due to the much larger sensor size Just to add, the bokeh on the 4.0 is very good hope this helps

profile.country.GB.title
JapanMan2
Contributor

Thank you for the advice, I've now put the  'FE 70-300' on my wish list as a future possible lens. :slight_smile:

I had been looking for the 24-70 F/4 as I could get a second hand one for a decent price, though a couple of months back when I was indoors, my 90mm F/2.8 handled the conditions better than my 16-35 F/4, which is why I was leaning towards the 24-70 F/2.8.

If money was no object I'd just buy them all, but sadly that isn't the case for me aha. :cry:

profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

I use the 55 1.8 for indoors, fab lens for that.(fab lens full stop) SEL85 & SEL2470GM are high end lenses for high end cameras such as the A7S2 & A7R2,  so in effect on a 24mp sensor you would not get the best out of these lenses which you would using the FE 2470,which is designed to work best on a smaller sensor camera.just a thought, you must live in a big house using 90mm indoors lol

just want to add, i took some shots of my xmas tree using the 55 1.8 in very low ambient light, so i could capture the effect of the lights etc on the tree, for correct exposure i has to use a shutter speed of 20secs(hand held) i was amazed at the sharpness and quality of the picture, as using a slower shutter speed to focal length defies a common rule in photography which is SS should at least match focal length, all due to the 5-axis stablisation so 55 1.8 indoors fe 2470 & 70300 outdoors and 2 grand saved!

profile.country.GB.title
JapanMan2
Contributor

Aha, my house is rather small, it was at a friends wedding venue. :slight_smile:

I don't earn a lot, so I don't think i'll ever get the chance to buy the A7R2; though I thought that whilst there is a difference in MP, I thought they were both the same sensor size?  I guess the extra pixels will result in more detail which is where the higher end lenses benifit more?

After a lot of though and looking at reviews, I'm still tempted by the 85mm 1.4; however I think I may have to take your advice and get the 24-70 F/4 (most likely used) once I've recouped the money; spending a further £1800 is probably a bit too much for a hobby :laughing:

profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

yes sorry you are right same sensor size, i just say larger sensor in regards to MP, just my way of putting it. Yes more detail, that's why you would probably not notice any difference in PQ from a lens costing a grand from one costing 2  good luck

profile.country.GB.title
JapanMan2
Contributor

I appreciate all your advice, thank you. :slight_smile: