Join now - be part of our community!

Auto HDR - two problems

Auto HDR - two problems

Hello all,

I have just bought an A7R ii and am very happy with it in general.. I do three things with a camera.

1/ 360 panoramas

2/ street photography

3/ videography

For 1/ I do a lot of shooting in shop fronts, and the contrast is high... but I have to take many dozen or hundreds of photos for an average job. On my previous camera (GH4) Auto HDR was pretty good for most situations, and I would only use "proper HDR", shooting several exposures for each shot, if the situation was ultra contrasty.

My two problems are that 

a/ the A7Rii produces the Auto HDR shot but also produces one normal, correctly exposed shot. This is really annoying in post production, having to carefully delete every second photo, making triple sure I am deleting the right one. This is a major pain when you are dealking with hundreds of images.

b/ the quality of the Auto HDR is poor. Much worse than the GH4. In fact, comparing the highlights of the AUTO HDR image to the unwanted "correctly exposed" extra shot, there is more highlight detail in the non Auto HDR shot! This is absolutely not what should happen.

Please can someon look into this, as it is a serious failing, but which can be addressed in firmware.

Thanks

Mark.

0 REPLIES 0