Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
mk1.golf.1983

One more to add there then,  so I'll just add this one too.

I really wouldn't say my post was useless, could call it informative. Letting the general public know that Sony Android tv's are generally not very good and that the customer support is as good as the tv's themselves. 

All you have to do is look how cheap they became so quickly. 

The rate of returns to retailers I know is high, I mean my retailer didn't resist in the slightest offering me my refund, in fact quite the opposite and after owning one sorry I mean six for 11 months. 

Look at all the positive feedback though. Censored much! My honest feedback was not rude or obscene just honest but guess what? It didn't meet there criteria. Strange that!

If my posts were to discourage even one person buying a Sony Android TV then I would be happy as the way I have been treated is quite frankly disgusting.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Replying with 'do one' is a waste of space. You also don't get to decide if your posts are  informative or not, the people reading them do. 

Where have you got the idea that these tv's are generally not very good? You just made it up based on your own personal experience and a handful of others. I've had quite a few minor issues with my tv but I wouldn't try and say they're 'not fit for purpose' based entirely on self experience and a handful of other bad experiences. 

I've made that point earlier and you ignored it. I expect you'll do it again. 

adyjay33

Stop being a Troll Garymjh, your just looking for an argument... you obviously dont like people saying what they feel about their experiences with these excuses for a TV set for some reason only you know about?

I agree with anyone that says how bad these TV have been and to be frankly honest are still.

People with 2016 sets are having issues too so not everyone is telling porky pies are they?

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
Deanfeuillade

Hi all

My replacement TV arrived today and the technicians packed the knackered one away whilst setting up my shiny new 2016 set.

Well the nice and happy feeling lasted another 20 seconds as the replacement TV was as bent as a banana! 

The box was all sealed so I assume it missed the quality control team as there is no way it should have left the factory in that state. I can honestly say it was almost curved but vertically.

The guy had to go back out to the van and get my old set back so im back to square one.

Oh well, lets see what the next one looks like as i have to wait another week now.

mk1.golf.1983

I'm not sure maybe the 6 consecutive poor quality tv's I have received is how my opinion is based, along with...

Information gathered from salesmen. 

Information from call centre staff

Uncensored reviews online 

And of course this huge forum that is not just people having a moan.

I am allowed an opinion especially when I have owned 6 of them, but also I'd say that my opinion would be quite justified too

I said do one because my opinion was being suppressed, perhaps that person also works for Sony? Not only that but I can and if I see fit, I will, thank you very much. 

mk1.golf.1983

@Deanfeuillade One of my 6 replacement Tv's was bent.

Maybe you had my rejects? Bent on the left hand about half way down? 

Anyway I think this highlights the Quality Control from Sony! 

Deanfeuillade

It was bent on both sides about half way down. On the plus side there was no lightbleed!!!!

mk1.golf.1983

Just earned 5 kudos points! 

Thought I would add a useless post there.

mk1.golf.1983

@Deanfeuillade well, pretty shocking QC!

It couldn't have been my rejected Sony Android TV KDL-43W755C as it's a 2015 model. But yes that was bent and very noticeably with major light bleed where the damage was across whole screen, box undamaged and sealed. 

Indy121

I'd say you were stupid to keep accepting returns. 6 is ridiculous.

I've had my tv up for a few months, only connected to a sky box + sound bar and used for Kodi. I haven't had one problem with it. Never frozen or unresponsive. So there are some good units out there. Just pot luck I guess.

Sent from my iPhone