Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373

@AnisKhan wrote:

Can't believe Amazon Video 5.1 still isn't working even after the latest update. 

A million times this. What is going on an why has this not been implemented yet?

The odd thing is that support of this feature used to be detailed on this page: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/73499 right under where it said support for Netflix 5.1 but was removed from the grid some time ago on the quiet. I now doubt Sony will ever honor it 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

For Amazon 5.1 - Please see this thread:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/android-amazon-5-1-will-this-ever-be-fixed/m-p/2128332

Interesting link that I thought id share - even more interesting is if you do a search on the site for 'Marshmallow'

http://androidtv.news

Thanks for that link @Anonymous. Interesting that it could be an issue with both Sony & Amazon. Either way, it sucks for the consumer as always 😞 

MaxUHD

@alanxce wrote:

Now that I have set my 55x8509c to record a series of programs from CH4HD to a USB drive from the EPG I have the illuminated LED at the bottom centre on Amber all the time. Anyone know how to get rid of it?

Sounds like it's some kind of indicator to flag up that you have scheduled recordings?

You can try Settings > TV > IlluminationLED - from there you have opions to dim, switch off or just have the LED come on only when you use the remote? Does that help at all?

alanxce

Thanks for the response, I went through those options earlier. You are right in that it is on to indicate recordings are scheduled. I was hoping for an option to turn it off just for that but looks like it doesn't exist unless it's under the recording options somewhere.

MaxUHD

Ah, right I see. I haven't applied the latest update as I don't need HDD recording or the PIP/PAP so I can't see any of the recording options. Hope you find a fix.

profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

My only problem with the new firmware is that if I leave my usb flash drive in the TV, whenever I switch the TV on I get the "would you like to use ES file explorer as your default".

I've tried switching off notifications in any app that refers to recording but no luck and cant find any settings to prevent this in ES.

I dont want to disable ES as I have been using it for years and have found it a very powerfull tool.

profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

Mine did that before this latest firmware drop. Didn't manage to fix it, so
I've just put up with it..
nwa1200sd
Explorer

Since the latest firmware update (earlier this week) I am unable to access the menu within Settings. When the Settings button is selected the various options are listed e.g. Display, Sound etc but when for example Display is selected the menu reverts to Settings, I am unable to access the listing/options within Display.

In addition after the 3D function briefly started working via the Action Menu this has since stopped working. 3D is no longer listed on the drop down Action Menu and I am unable to watch 3D via USB or YouTube. I cannot select 3D from the Settings:Display menu (see above).

profile.country.GB.title
TWLeebo

"Since the last FEB update, the standard video player doesn't work properly anymore. It will stretch the image vertically, so black lines in original file on top and bottom of image won't show. Aspect ratio is not adjustable via remote or settings. I tried playback via VLC, but then the image stutters."

This was driving me nuts so I've searched for a fix, and I've found one!

Start playing a video on the stock player, then go to the action menu. In the video section choose "Fit Screen" (if it says "Expand" you'll have to choose that first). Then Action menu, Video section choose "Information", press the back button and it should be in the correct ratio!