Join now - be part of our community!

5 year garrentee

profile.country.GB.title
Shamusk1212
Explorer

5 year garrentee

I bought a Sony 55X8509C  tv that has 6 FLASHING red lights its only 2 year old and it's on a 5 year garrentee Sony only offer me a second hand tv they say the only have this one and it's at least a year older than my current model can they do this and if they can why don't they tell you when you buy the tv that's what they do.

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Shamusk1212 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

A number of TV manufacturers offer refurbished sets if they can't / wont repair

your TV.

I may be misunderstanding but are you saying you are being offered a

different or inferior model?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Shamusk1212 wrote:

I bought a Sony 55X8509C  tv that has 6 FLASHING red lights its only 2 year old and it's on a 5 year garrentee Sony only offer me a second hand tv they say the only have this one and it's at least a year older than my current model can they do this and if they can why don't they tell you when you buy the tv that's what they do.

No they can’t. They have to put you in the position you would have been in if the TV had not broken, or in a better position.

So yes, they could give you a refurbished model of the same or a newer TV, as long as it had no cosmetic damage exceeding that on your current set, if any, but they cannot make you accept an older model.

They are though, allowed one attempt to repair the set. Have they already had this, or have they conceded that the set is beyond economic repair?

Failing those options, though, you are entitled to your money back, and this is your statutory right, not anything provided by the guarantee. But this is an option enforceable against the retailer who sold you the set, not against Sony. Have you tried involving the retailer in your quest for redress?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Shamusk1212
Explorer

No same model but one it's a year older two I don't know the condition and they said it was coming out of Sony factory in Paris and we find out it's coming out of a tv repair shop in Canterbury and it's the only one there terms and conditions they send out with garrentee doesn't mention anything about reconditioned set .

profile.country.GB.title
Shamusk1212
Explorer

Hi no they just condemned the tv without looking at it and yes the tv is the same but at least a year older and we haven't got in touch with pc world yet thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Shamusk1212
Explorer

Can I 

profile.country.GB.title
Shamusk1212
Explorer

Can I go to the retailer pc world if the tv is 2 years old and ask for redress thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

(Duplicate deleted.)

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Shamusk1212 wrote:

Can I go to the retailer pc world if the tv is 2 years old and ask for redress thanks.

What was the exact date you bought it? What was the exact date you first found it was faulty?

And re the Sony-proposed replacement, if it’s the exact same model, with the exact same model number, how do you know it is at least a year older?

And as these sets get updated every year, how come it can be a year older? Did you buy it as an outdated model, maybe because it was cheaper than the then-current model?

profile.country.GB.title
Shamusk1212
Explorer

First purchased 06/16 first went wrong on 07/18 and yes it is the same model but it is a year older because they have already said it is.