Join now - be part of our community!

A8 Sound dropouts when watching movies using Google Play movies app

profile.country.GB.title
andrewpieri
Explorer

A8 Sound dropouts when watching movies using Google Play movies app

Just got my A8 and frustrated with sound dropping out when watching google play movies (5.1 audio) connected to a Yamaha-2700 soundbar. Soundbar reports picking up DD+ stream but looses audio for a split second at what appears to be random intervals (seconds or mins between).

Works fine with Netflix app and DD+ audio.

Am I missing something? Only way can get to stop dropouts is by switching to PCM output on TV or switch to TV speakers (Dolly Audio)

Thanks for any advice

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Have you updated to that latest firmware?

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
andrewpieri
Explorer

Thanks for reply. Yes, downloaded and manually installed very latest.

Noticed also getting same thing using YouTube app, split second audio dropouts.

Not sure if my HDMI cable could be at fault, ordered a new one (Ultra High Speed), to at least rule out.

profile.country.GB.title
andrewpieri
Explorer

Further to my last post...

Ruled out HDMI cable, still seeing issue.

Does anyone know if DD+ should be a valid setting for audio output on KD-65A8 for GP movies (with 5.1 audio) or if setting needs to be downgraded to PCM for reliable audio? reminder have my Yamaha YSP-2700 soundbar (DD, DD+ and Dolby TrueHD) connected via eARC port on TV

Thanks again 

profile.country.GB.title
andrewpieri
Explorer

After a heap of troubleshooting I think I have managed to isolate this problem.

It looks like there is some sort of unreliability with 5.1 audio over WiFi. If I connect my TV via ethernet I get stable 5.1 audio. I should add that if I downgrade to PCM audio over WiFi it is also stable.

I don’t think the issue is linked to my WiFi setup (380Mbs), since when using AppleTV via the TV sound is fine (DD+) to the soundbar.

Not sure if this is a more common issue, but any advice welcome. My pref is to use WiFi if at all poss.

Thanks 

profile.country.DK.title
SemperArden
Explorer

Hi

I have a similar situation it just only happens when I stream from the build-in app like Netflix, Disney+, etc. 

But totally similar to what you describe, my sound is attached via HDMI3 eArc on TV to eArc on my JBL BAR 9.1 Soundbar. 

No issues if I switch to PCM of plays sound from TV, but then the sound is kind of dull.

I have read many forums were users have similar issues, but it seems there is no real solution jet. 

I anticipate it is some kind of issue during the decoding on the TV, but it would be nice with a solution. 

Tried different HDMI cables which did not resolve the issue, yet to try the cabled network, will let you know if it changes anything.

profile.country.GB.title
andrewpieri
Explorer

Hi

After a very lengthy wait there was a recent firmware update that definitely improved this, have you updated to latest firmware? there’s actually mention of this fix in the changelog

I know very odd, but it also helped if I had the TV hard wired (ethernet), rather than using WiFi. Have you tried to see in case helps.

Hope helps

Andrew

profile.country.DK.title
SemperArden
Explorer

Well, I can confirm swapping to ethernet resolved it for me (so far)! 

The tv has been updated since the release on November 26th. 

Been watching The Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies (just amazing) without any sound issues at all. 

I will keep an ear on it the next few days, before I make a permanent hole in the wall for an ethernet cable 😃

profile.country.GB.title
andrewpieri
Explorer

Good to hear. Definitely suggest raising a ticket with Sony support, you can quote case 20490633 (my report with Yamaha soundbar) if helps.

Best

Kristof84
Explorer

Hello guys,

i just bought my new A8 OLED and have the same issue. When Im watching streamed movie the voice just drops out randomly when Im using HDMI cable.

Without cable on laptop no voice issue. 

i tried multiple cables,the problem is probably TV related....

Any help?!

Thanks