Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.DK.title
refrejn

I did a factory reset when I upgraded to marshmallow the last time but haven't done it after this update. I figured that they were so similar that it wasn't nescessary.

I kind of agree with regards to the contrast enhancer, because when we got the TV it was awfull to see when it kicked in. In the first year I was using the TV in the Cinema Pro mode, with a couple of adjustments, but after the last marshmallow upgrade then switched to Standard and then dialed down the colors but allowed some of the enhancements and vidid colors. It has worked really well and made the picture "pop" more withouth being unnatural and exaggerated like Standard is per default.

I'm think that I left the contrast enhancer enabled at that time, but now I'm not so sure... If I didn't then the OTA update must have messed up the settings. Could that be the case?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

refrejn schrieb:

I'm think that I left the contrast enhancer enabled at that time, but now I'm not so sure... If I didn't then the OTA update must have messed up the settings. Could that be the case?

Might be. For me, digital audio output was set to PCM after the update. So I had to set it to Auto again to get Dolby passthrough audio.

profile.country.DK.title
refrejn

I would really like to avoid yet another factory reset... it has been a lot in then 19 months we have had this TV!

The first marshmallow upgrade really worked "perfect" for me, so this is kind of annoying. The TV did reboot by itself a few times, but only when working in the Android interface. Mostly it just worked.

bevarle85
New

I just did the latest update last night. Turned the TV on just now and the TV came on as normal and the news was on but after about 10 secs it went to the home screen on its own and I could not get back to any of my HDMI inputs. When I press TV it is set to go to the Virgin input but now it just refreshes the home screen. When I press the top left button to bring up the list on HDMI devies it doesnt list any??

Just turned the TV off and back on again and it not says an update is available again so doing that now and will see what happens as came across this whilst Googling the issue.

profile.country.DK.title
refrejn

I just got home and checked the settings. It seems that the contrast enhancer was only enabled for the video apps and not for HDMI inputs so either the update changed the setting for apps or I forgot to set it correct at some time. 

profile.country.GB.title
petersincock

Mmmm not happy.  

KDL43W805C been running the latest software with no issues. Google cast crashed on me so rebooted the TV...................  And now it won't get past the "Sony"  splash screen.  Google cast was updated yesterday via Google play. 

Any ideas? 

Shodney

Since we're all messing around in the developer settings, may as well try this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/69q9fe/performance_tip_limit_background_processes/

I've been running like this for a week or so and, early days, but I haven't had an "[APP] has stopped working" popup since. I used to get one or two of these a day - whether it's coincidence or not that these have stopped I don't know.

Can't say I've noticed any general speed improvements otherwise though like others are saying. Still has laggy animations, stuttering and such.

Shodney

Also, sets with Android 7 out of the box have been seen in the wild, so it exists somewhere:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/69h7o5/sony_800e_running_android_70_possible_update_soon/

Report in that thread says that it's still laggy. Congrats, Sony *slow clap*

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

and still kernel 3.10 :laughing:

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi guys.. Yep back on the subject of ''developers option'' iv been running best framerate for just over a week now and my TV

KD-43X8307C 2015 is running perfecty and that's with the new firmware update 3.85 stable as a rock plus picture looking fantastic so I'm a very happy bunny!

I also stumbled across this yesterday throught I would share this with the group

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/05/android-tv-update-tipped-google-io-schedule.html

Looks like Google is going to shake up Andriod TV now they are going to poor more resources onto the platform.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone