Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Apart from the consideration that you already did, I also preferred the Nougat solution even if I have to say that was more related to the audio rather than the video that was almost completely obscured by the Home Menu.

In any case I think is related to the way Google now prefer to design the new launcher with all the animation included. Nothing really important IMHO. Probably the best solution is implemented in the 2019 TV in which you can go to setup option directly by the setup button without having to pass through the Home Menu. We may hope that they will pass it also to previous versions so that Sony can save some money having only one software to mantain and we can enjoy a better usability :wink:

profile.country.SE.title
DanteSwe

My ARC is broken again :((( (Sony ZD9 - Marantz SR 7013), repost:

Today I updated my receiver Marantz SR 7013 and the ARC is broken now! It cuts sound off and on every 2-3 seconds...ie sound stuttering...I tryed everything, NOTHING helps...

It worked PERFECT before I updated Marantz...:(

I had a perfect working system for a whole week...WHY did I update Marantz, WHY oh WHY...:( ??? Well because it said that the new firmware had "enhancement and stability improvements"....well, THANKS MARANTZ for that one!

Here is the latest non working Marantz firmware:

last updated:- 24/04/2019

Firmware Vers:2461-5095-9141-5005

24/04/2019

Firmware Vers:2461-5095-9141-5005(MZ20-005,SR7013/N1B, SR7013/N1SG)

1)The 3rd party control system no longer controlling the HEOS devices after the HEOS update Ver.1.505.130 (U20).

Filename:-DPMS_SR7013ALL_LEGO_0008.zip
heos_40.prod_1.505.140.zip

Question:

Are SONY and MARANTZ AWARE OF EACH OTHER ??? Marantz is under Sound United umbrella together with Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, Intergra...95 % of home theater receiver market? If Marantz HDMI CEC is NOT WORKING with SONY TV then 95% of ARC connections in home theaters ARE BROKEN? HOW ON EARTH IS THIS POSSIBLE? Someone...ANYONE...???

PS For God Sake NEVER BUY A CAR with INTERNET connection and AUTOMATIC updates, NEVER! Trust me on that one! NEVER!

profile.country.SE.title
DanteSwe

After further investigation, swapping HDMI cables back and forth between Sony ZD9 and Marantz SR 7013 I concluded that the ARC CEC is incompatible with Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI v 2.1 cable (Belkin cable supports 4K HDR (Dolby Vision, HDR 10) that was working ok prior to Marantz firmware update.

My old Monoprice Ultra High Speed cable is working ok with the new Maratnz firmware:
Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K@60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, 6ft

Both Monoprice and Belkin cables are 2 meters and passing 4k HDR 60 Hz RGB 4:4:4 between Sony Playstation 4 PRO and Marantz SR 7013. However, Belkin is dropping sound in conjuction with ZD9 and ARC (working ok prior to Marantz firmware update).

I think it is a clocking issue between ZD9 and Marantz, nothing wrong with the cable. The Belkin cable is capable of 48 Gbps, 8k so it will be pretty common going forward.

I will report the incompability problem to the Marantz, can someone forward this ARC issue to Sony technicians?

Thanks in advance!

PS Belkin cable (Partnr:AV10175BT2M-BLK, Revision nr: 8830bt24628 Rev. B00)

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

An HDMI 2 cable isn’t an actual class of cable - it’s just marketing nonsense as any cable sold as “HDMI 2.0” is just a high-speed cable, as used for "HDMI 1.x", in a different box. Cables aren’t classified by numbers in the same way as HDMI ports are.

Also the hdmi consortium sets: "And please note that NO use of version numbers is allowed in the labeling, packaging, or promotion of any cable product".

On the other hand, our TVs support the HDMI v2.0 meaning that they can transmit up to 18Gbps signals. Examples:

4K 60 4:4:4 (no HDR) = 17.82Gbps
4K 30 4:4:4 10b-HDR (no 60fps) = 11.14Gbps
4K 60 4:2:2 10b-HDR (no 4:4:4) = 17.82Gbps
4K 60 4:4:4 10b-HDR = 22.28Gbps

Bottom Line: An HDMI cable can be labeled based on its bandwith: 18Gbps or 48 Gbps. In layman's terms in can be described as 4K, HDR etc. But no HDMI version.

profile.country.SE.title
DanteSwe

Problem solved

==============

I have solved the problem with Belkin cable after Marantz firmware update. How did I did it? Well, simple :slight_smile:

Once upon a time I remember reading on a forum how a fellow ARC user had sound dropouts and solved it by reversing the cable ends (ie he disconnected the end that was connected to the receiver and connected it to the TV and viceversa).

I was sceptical but I give it a try. I connected the Belkin cable between Sony ZD9 and Marantz and I had audio dropouts every 2-3 seconds. Then I disconnected the same cable and reversed the end of the cable...Voila, it works! Everything works perfect and no more audio dropouts!

I suspect there is some lookup-table in Sony ZD9 or Marantz SR 7013 and when the cable was reversed it registered as a new entry with correct clock and timing values.

Hope it helps someone out there with similar problems! :slight_smile:

PS @zer0ner0: Yes, I know, there is a lot of shenanigans when it comes to cables.

profile.country.GB.title
neilwatts13

I've been getting similar dropout issues for close to a year (worse with the initial release of Oreo), and still getting the occasional drop in audio with the new firmware. I'll try switching the ends of my HDMI cable too and report back with my findings soon (again a Belkin hi-speed cable). 

FYI, my setup is:

• TV - Sony KD-43XF8505
  • Soundbar/Sub - Sony HT-ZF9 (with SA-Z9R wireless rear speakers)
  • Sony PS4 Pro (connected directly to Soundbar)
  • Sony UBP-X800 UHD Bluray player (connect directly to Soundbar)
  • Virgin Media V6 Cable box (connected directly to TV, sound output from tv back to sound bar through ARC port)
Buljaka
Explorer

Maybee i didnt see but do You guYs have problem with kodi And 4k ? 

IT plays ok but od You press Z on keyboard IT says 1080 resolution.  In settings 1080 is only resolution supported .. i read that we should rebuild kodi as aplication/video 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

profile.country.NL.title
MartijnOnlySony
Explorer

Something I noticed was that the UI and Plex subtitles are dimmed in Oreo, as mentioned by others. Upon changing of the auto brightness setting (at night), UI looks bright again. Might be the reason why some don’t notice the dimming and others do? Depending on this auto brightness setting.

profile.country.GR.title
Johnickz

Definitely bad firmware, light sensor is off. Picture on Android UI and lot of apps is terrible. Dimmed menus, colors, contrast is locked, tried all combinations on all profiles, changed all the aspects but the picture is terrible. Give us the option to downgrade for gods love.

KD-65XF9005