Join now - be part of our community!

Casting HBO on Sony KD-49x8305C no longer works

amandus72

Casting HBO on Sony KD-49x8305C no longer works

After latest update I have problems casting from HBO to my sony TV. It seems that I get to cast the initial HBO screen to the Tv but when I try to cast a series/film from either ipad or android phone apps the show never starts.

I have a dual band router and tried to use both 2,4G and 5G connection (on both devices) but nothing seems to help.

Does anyone experience the same? / have ideas on how to solve this?

thx

11 REPLIES 11
jani1973
Explorer

I have new KD-55X8505C and I can't cast either. iPad says it's casting and on TV screen there is that grey/blue bar and in the middle of screen is that rotating figure.

Youtube casting works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

Which country are you from?  Has HBO recently updated thier app or are you refering to the FW update from a couple of months back?

Cheers

amandus72

DK,

The HBO app on Android is latest version 1.3.1 on Samsung Galaxy S6 device, the Ios is also the most current (3.4.0) on Ipad neither seems to do me any good.

On my other TV with an ordinary Chromecast dongle the app works smoothly.

And in relation to firmware I mean on the Sony TV. Alas HBO used to work?!?!

jani1973
Explorer

I'm From Finland and we have HBO Nordic app, which should work with Google cast.

iPad with iOS 9.3.2 worked like I tell (or should I say told?! 😕 ) earlier.

But after I updated iPad to iOS 9.3.5 , nothing happens on tv screen anymore and even YouTube don't work anymore.

On iPhone I have iOS 9.3.2 and it works like I iPad earlier.

Seems to be some problems on newest iOS.

edit. After restarting router it works like earlier. HBO nordic app just seems to load forever on tv screen. 

amandus72

to clarfy edit jani...

you now also have the same problem?

note my other tv with an old chromecast dongle works like a charm. So it must be the casting on the tv.... (where netflix and other casts works well)

jani1973
Explorer

Read your first post amandus. Yes, I have same problem.

I had to do factory reset, because after I took power off for one minute from TV, casting didn't work anymore. But after factory reset it is working again like earlier.

jani1973
Explorer

I even tried different modem/router with more adjusting options without success. Sometimes iPad give error notifications about Google cast because I tried almost everything I could with modem.

I send mail to HBO Nordic. Maybe HBO might be right address, althought I don't know how that casting works and where the problem might be.

I tried TuneIn app, didn't work either, just gives error.

SUHDME
Explorer

Have you thought of going through kodi for the hbo channel instead of casting as you can find just about anything on kodi hope this helps 

jani1973
Explorer

I think I'm gonna familiarize with kodi later. I have Apple tv and can watch HBO through it, but casting would be easier...well using Apple tv is not that hard either. :grin: