Join now - be part of our community!

Did I buy a good TV?

YoMcCurdy
Explorer

Did I buy a good TV?

Model Number: KD-43X8309 (CBU) 

Saw it in my local currys and the picture Quality was beyond amazing, so I decided to buy it I just want to know if it's a good TV and if it will support HDMI 2.0a and if it's a good purchase. I haven't got round to using the TV yet as I'm waiting for it to be delivered. 

I paid £649 for it and had the choice between a Samsung Curved 4K 40" but chose this one over it based on Picture Quality. 

So if anyone can let me know, that'd be great I'm starting to think i've made a bad decision in buying this TV.

15 REPLIES 15
YoMcCurdy
Explorer

Well, all I want to use the film for is watching movies and gaming, I want to be able to watch the occassional 4k film on Netflix and 4K Videos on Youtube and Game on 1920x1080. I'm not going to be watching tons of 4K content and my old TV wasn't 4K. so I think I've made a good decision in buying this TV.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I cant see any reason why this tv would not do everything you listed there.  So once the tv comes, i think you will be happy.  Have fun :thumbsup:

TheGeeG
Explorer

From my experience, definitely not.  We returned ours (KD-43X8305C) after weeks of poor responsiveness, shocking lag when changing between functions, programmes etc., intermittent YouView availability, uncommanded switch-ons and -offs.  I could go on.

Sony support was quick to respond - do a factory reset.  Really, on a TV that is just out of the box?  Very poor.

Intriguingly, when I went back to the retailer, they were completely unphased by my request to change sets.  In fact, in an unguarded comment, one chap noted that he was dealing with several Sony returns a week.

It seems clear that Sony have released beta-standard software and are using customers to bug-test.

Such a shame after many years of happily watching Sony TVs.  The picture itself was faultless, but that can't make up for the many other faults.

Switched to LG.  Their WebOS is stable and fast.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@TheGeeG probably WebOS is stable compared to AndroidTV (even if probably you missed the latest fw releases), but what about the picture of your brand new LG looking at a movie in the dark? Does it look similar to the Sony one? Unless you bought an OLED, that's another story and another budget....

TheGeeG
Explorer

@rooobb My experience dated from late-Jan to mid-Feb.  I received the latest 2 Feb update which was first installed OTA, then, on Sony advice and after a factory reset, via USB, each time delivering an 'update successful' message.  The latter improved things for a couple of days then the same issues reappeared.  If it wasn't counter-intuitive, given the underpinning Android system, I would have said these exhibited signs of inefficient memory management, with instructions stacking to a point where they could not be processed.  Whatever, and maybe I was just unlucky and got a bad 'un, my experience is of an unstable OS that could not drive the advertised functionality.  That functionality was the USP of this TV and it didn't deliver, for me at least, so back it went.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I didn't want to argue with your experience on android I was just asking about the picture experience on the LG compared to the Sony one. In my personal opinion it is the final purpose of a tv.