Join now - be part of our community!

[Master Thread] - 4K / 2160p Juddering Issues - Sky/BT

SOLVED
palmeri8145
Explorer

[Master Thread] - 4K / 2160p Juddering Issues - Sky/BT

Hi all - thanks for all the informative information I have found on this community site.

I have recently purchased the above tv and I am using it with a (UK) BT Ultra HD package. The output of the box is 2160p50 and I have set it to 10 bit colour.

Generally speaking I am very happy with the telly but I am experiencing a bug which sounds similar to the "Screen Format: Full" issue reported on another thread.

After a period of watching TV (normally longer extended periods of say 2 hours), the picture starts to judder and the "Screen Format: Full" message flicks on and off. The only way to recover this is to switch the telly off and on again which seems to allow the telly to "resync". This problem happens *every* day when watching TV at least once.

It is not a problem with the BT box as when I switch that on and off the picture problem does not clear.

I have tried different 4K related settings on the telly / BT box but the problem still occurs. Has anyone else noticed this with the TV ?

Thanks,

Ian

279 REPLIES 279
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@notspurs wrote:

i went five days after update and factory resetting before judder started again (8509c) have left picture setting on 1080i until it get's sorted. it's a shame sony don't have a legal obligation to pay my extra £12 a month i pay to sky for the uhd service as at the moment it is to unstable

Have you factory reset Sky?

profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

yep,  i thought i would try 2160 again today, just to see how long it lasts b4 problems. still cannot get sky to recognise 10bit. hdmi set to enhanced. have tried direct to tv or the way i prefer, through my amp str dn860, just so i can use ARC, amp has hdmi passthro'. sky is now set 2160 8bit. i can set hdmi colour output on amp to 10bit , which i suppose is a work around,might have to call sky, to see if it's the box. not as tho iv'e got a spare q silver box knocking around to try! as iv'e posted previously, got 10bit  b4 update from sony maybe just coincidence

alanxce

Having finally got my 8509c working at 2160 I left it on this setting for all programs. Last night watching the England football on ITVHD I got the dreaded judder so I switched it back to 1080p and no problem. 

Seems I will have to switch it to 2160 only when I watch something UHD which isn't very often so no hardship really.

profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

yes that's what i'm now doing, swich over to uhd for the football. should really set to 1080i, as that what anything that comes thro' sky, is broadcast in. don't now why they have got 1080p on there, that is blu-ray format. feel free to be corrected

JOEC1983
Explorer

I queried my retailer about a refund/replacement, but apparently as the TV is over 6 months old, I need to deal with Sony as my guarantee is with them.

Anyway, by way of update, my retailer has told me that Sony are aware that some of us still have judder issues, and are working on a fix, which is due out next week. The fix is nearing completion and they are running some tests on the final version. Hopefully, this is true as I haven't seen any official Sony comment on that.

I have also just changed my HDMI cable to one that confirms it has been tested for 18gb transfer. I switched to that last night in the hope that it may make a difference. So far, so good, but will have a better idea this evening and will update.

As someone else mentioned, I wonder whether a non-Sony AV receiver with 4k upscaler would resolve the issue, as it would process whatever resolution of signal comes from the source and transfer it to the TV as a consistent 4k signal, so no judder in theory?

profile.country.GB.title
kevinwoods12
Explorer

@@JOEC1983

The shop is fobbing you off mate,  your contract of sale is with them not Sony. 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

@JOEC1983

Exactly how old is the TV?

(Was it bought on or after 1st October 2015?)

If so have a look at this thread regarding your rights.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/general-chat/consumer-rights-act-2015/td-p/2055673

JOEC1983
Explorer

My TV was bought from Richer Sounds (online) in November 2015, so the Consumer Rights Act applies. I'm pretty sure I could prove that the TV was not fut for purpose at the time of sale (using threads such as this), but as the TV is wall mounted etc, it will probably be a huge hassle. Having said that, if the juddering continues, I'll investigate further.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Fingers crossed it miraculously stops :slight_smile:

Please keep us posted.

marc.knuckle
Explorer

so, 2 more issues since the update that didnt actually fix my judder anyway. after the software update i did a factory reset straight away.

firstly, twice now all video apps have lost video and only played audio. youtube, netflix and amazon all doing the same. firstly i couldnt sort it with a normal power cycle so had to do a full factory reset (second reset after the update). the most recent occasion i did a power cycle and it resolved it.

more worrying though today. we turned the tv on after a short time being in standby. nothing on screen at all. i pressed home and the android interface came up with apps, inputs etc so i knew it was working. however, ALL the input icons had no text on them as if they had all lost their name. all blank apart from the little picture depicting the cable such as a hdmi connector picture. no writing like 'hdmi 1' 'hdmi 2' etc.  i had to power cycle to get it going again!!!!

SONY!!!! get it sorted!!!!  i wish i hadnt done the rubbish update now as it didnt solve this issue it was intended to solve and introduced more instability!