Join now - be part of our community!

New Sony XD93

zoz1234
Explorer

New Sony XD93

I just recently bought one of these and i am really impressed with the picture etc.

Just wondering if anybody else had one who knew more about getting the TV primed for optimum picture quality etc.

I have one issue at the moment, and that is when viewing Sky through HDMI port 3 , when i press the info button on the remote, nothing happens.

It's ok when i view the blu ray in the ARC connection, it displays the screen info then, just not with sky.

I have a Sony DVD recorder and a Sony Blu-Ray player connected to the HDMI Arc port at the back of the TV via a Yamaha 4K pass through receiver.

I connect the Sky seperately to the TV so as not to over confuse the wife who just wants to watch her programmes as simply as possible!!

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

HDMI-CEC is based on a loose set of standards of which manufacturers can and seem to implement differently.  Im assuming this could be the reason why its not displaying.

Having said that though, there is a known issue for 2015 TVs of which i can also confirm is also effecting 2016 models too.

See:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2115734#M40771

Cheers

zoz1234
Explorer

Thanks for the prompt reply. 

I think the problem could be what you pointed out. General bugs. 

Out of interest, I upscaled a blu ray earlier to 4k. The next blu ray I played only produced a 1080p picture, but on closer inspection it was only rated at 1080i originally? Does that sound right? 

Also, is there a way to upscale high definition sky on this TV? It always shows just 1080I. Not that the picture is bad!

gebearm

I have also bought the new SONY XD93 and why is there two Satellite inputs but no FREESAT, I do not recommend buying this expensive TV if you want to use  Internet Browser which I find is totally useless. The Opera browser is an absolute disgrace and is virtually useless. The TV is promoted as being ANDROID and should have  Google Chrome and IMO Sony are misleading Consumers. Two Sony reps and the Dealer told me the XD93 had FREESAT ?  Furthermore there is no standby light , switch on  takes too long. Despite buying a Logitech wireless keyboard   easier to use than the inbuilt keyboard pictures from the  internet browser are much clearer than with chrome cast  but too difficult to access. Does anyone know how to download Google Chrome,  Sony Suppurt is non existant and will not reply to questions.  

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If your main problem is the internet explorer on your TV first you have to ask to Google why Chrome is not defined as a standard Browser for Android TV (since they develop both) and second, since you have an Android based O.S. in anycase you CAN actually download and use it: just follow the instructions in tthis article on how to sideload and launch sideloaded app (discard for a moment if you are not interested the possibility to installa any .apk) http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/android-tv-guides/how-to-sideload-apps-apk-files-on-the-nexus-play...

Just change the ES file explorer in the article with Chrome, you still need sideload launcher to be installed in order to see it (it doesn't show on your HOME screen) and a mouse to use it (you can still use the TV&Video sideview app for this). It works exactly as on any other android device.

gebearm

Quite frankly I would advise anybody about to buy a new TV not to buy the troublesome Sony XD93, had many teething problems which I thought had been overcome but now this TV will not function. I would like to reject it but unfortunately have now passed the 30 day limit for rejection. and will have to rely on the warranty. Quite frankly I should have bought a Samsung or Panasonic.

gebearm

SONY update ?    TV has now switched itself back on after 6 hours. COSTCO are selling this  XD93  55"  for £1598.98 incl Vat  .