Join now - be part of our community!

No 5.1 audio from KD-65AF8 TV

SOLVED
profile.country.DK.title
Dansn86
Explorer

No 5.1 audio from KD-65AF8 TV

Hi,

I have just bought the Sony KD-65AF8 Android TV. I am having quite some trouble getting it to output 5.1 Surround to my Denon AVR-1911 Surround Sound Receiver.

The receiver supports ARC so i have tried connecting them using a HDMI High Speed with Ethernet cable and enabling HDMI Control. It works just fine as i can control the volume from my TV remote and i can output stereo sound, but if i use any of the built-in Apps on the TV i am unable to output 5.1 surround. I have tried with Netflix, Sony Video App, Plex, Kodi and VLC. When i select an 5.1 Audio source there is no sound output at all.

In the display of the receiver it shows that it is receiving PCM signal. The only way i can get any audio is if i set the Sony TV to Output PCM. THen i get stereo output when i play any 5.1 Audio source.

I have also tried using Optical Audio connection with and without ARC. It makes no difference. The receiver keeps showing that it is receiving PCM and outputs no audio.

I tried fiddling around with the different sound settings on the TV, but i did not manage to make it work.

I know the receiver works because i can connect a Chromecast directly to the receiver and output 5.1 surround through that no problem at all.

However i really like the interface on the Sony TV's built in apps like Netflix and especially Plex. So i would like to be able to use it without having to connect a chromecast, apple tv or something like that. So i hope someone here might be able to help? :slight_smile:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi,

Thanks for your clear response and related notes. The background music during the setup is in stereo LPCM, however your AVR is probably up-mixing the signal to multichannel audio.

1. I'd like you to execute a Factory Data Reset on the AVR too, then retry.
  2. If that doesn't make any change, then please list for us all connected devices and the inputs they are connected to on the TV and your AVR. Unplug the power cord of the TV and AVR from the mains, then disconnect all devices both from the TV and AVR, leave only the HDMI ARC connected; then power on and retry.
  3. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then please replace the HDMI ARC cable for a Digital Optical cable; then retry.

Do not change the TV settings during all your tests to anything other than the settings I listed in my previous post.

• I would like to know if your AVR used to produce 5.1 surround sound audio with your previous TV through HDMI ARC well?
  • I would also like to know if you have any spare/second AVR or TV in the house which can handle 5.1 surround sound audio. That would help us confine the problem to either the TV or AVR.
  • I also strongly suggest you do test #1 from the above list using all the different HDMI cables you have available.

Keep us updated!

Cheers,

Dutchice

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @Dansn86,

Will it be possible for you to answer the following questions, so we can start to look for the root cause of your problem.

1.  What is the firmware revision of your TV?
  2.  Has this problem been there since you bought the TV or has it started recently?
  3.  Do you have DD 5.1 surround sound from programmes through the TV digital broadcast channels?
  4.  First open an app causing the issue (e.g. Netflix), then find and set the options below as listed. Make sure you have disconnected the OPTICAL cable between the TV and AVR and also that you have set the [Speakers] to [Audio System] before starting.
    [Action Menu] > [Sound] > [Advanced Settings] > [Common] > [Digital audio out volume] > [Max]
    [Action Menu] > [Sound] > [Advanced Settings] > [Input related] > [Dolby Dynamic Range] > [Standard]
    [Action Menu] > [Sound] > [Advanced Settings] > [Input related] > [Dolby Digital Plus output] > [Dolby Digital Plus]
    [Home] > [Settings] > [Sound] > [Digital audio out] > [Auto 1]

Report back and we will take it from there.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.DK.title
Dansn86
Explorer

Hi @dutchice,

Thanks for taking your time to assist!

1: Just updated it to 6.5830 today

2: Problem has been there since beginning (bought TV 2 weeks ago)

3: I do not have any Analog/Digital broadcast channels.

4: I made the corrections below, but still with the same result. No audio when playing a 5.1 source. If i switch to stereo source sound is output.

Just a sidenote. I tried to factory reset the TV today after updating the firmware and i noticed that during the initial setup there was some surround sound music playing. First through the internal speakers and then after a short while it automatically switched to external audio system (guessing because of the ARC). Here it actually did continue with surround through my AVR.

Netflix 5.1. audio: No sound

Netflix Stereo: Sound works and i can actually set the receiver to output surround. However it does not sound like true surround

Plex 5.1 audio: No sound
Plex Stereo: No sound (I am not 100% sure the source was stereo. It said in the description though)

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi,

Thanks for your clear response and related notes. The background music during the setup is in stereo LPCM, however your AVR is probably up-mixing the signal to multichannel audio.

1. I'd like you to execute a Factory Data Reset on the AVR too, then retry.
  2. If that doesn't make any change, then please list for us all connected devices and the inputs they are connected to on the TV and your AVR. Unplug the power cord of the TV and AVR from the mains, then disconnect all devices both from the TV and AVR, leave only the HDMI ARC connected; then power on and retry.
  3. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then please replace the HDMI ARC cable for a Digital Optical cable; then retry.

Do not change the TV settings during all your tests to anything other than the settings I listed in my previous post.

• I would like to know if your AVR used to produce 5.1 surround sound audio with your previous TV through HDMI ARC well?
  • I would also like to know if you have any spare/second AVR or TV in the house which can handle 5.1 surround sound audio. That would help us confine the problem to either the TV or AVR.
  • I also strongly suggest you do test #1 from the above list using all the different HDMI cables you have available.

Keep us updated!

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.DK.title
Dansn86
Explorer

Hi @dutchice 

Thank you for assisting. I finally managed to make it work!

Although i had already tried 2 different High Speed HDMI WIth Ethernet cables i decided to buy a new one and that seemed to do the trick. Even though it is the same type of cable "High Speed HDMI with Ethernet". So maybe there could have been something wrong with the 2 others i have tried. But now it works just fine with ARC, Dolby Digital and everything :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time and getting back to us with your result. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your new Sony OLED TV. 

Give yourself a pat on the back, you've earned it.

Cheers,

Dutchice