Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDL-55X8509C issues with anything less than 4K Resolution

profile.country.NL.title
owentje82

Sony KDL-55X8509C issues with anything less than 4K Resolution

I have this TV for 4 years now, but a few months ago the TV was starting to have some more issues until at some moment I had the infamous Sony boot loop.

I was able to recover it, but I noticed that the TV was fine showing anything which is 4K, but anything less (so Full HD/SD etc, through HDMI or even built in apps or TV tuner) is giving me a distorted video (kinda like a negative image, but hardly anything is visible). So I can’t even watch TV through Cable (with CI+ module), luckily my Apple TV 4K had an App of the TV provider.

At first I thought it was a software issue, but after a restore of the firmware, the issue stays.

Anybody here with the same issues, or who knows how to fix this issue?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@owentje82 

Factory Reset it.

If the issue continues, then you must have a hardware failure of the upscaling needed for anything coming in at less than 4K, and you will need the set servicing to fix this.

Assuming it’s economic to have this done, which it may not be. Or have you perchance an extended warranty?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.NL.title
owentje82

I’ve already tried all kind of resets... none of them would work... I had the same idea that the upscaling hardware somehow failed... Still hoping it was a known issue, which could be resolved easily.

Getting it fixed probably means a new main board, so that would probably cost around 500 euros... Not gonna happen...