Join now - be part of our community!

Subtitles causing frame drops/stutters on Netflix, Prime Video, etc.

profile.country.GB.title
pabulous

Subtitles causing frame drops/stutters on Netflix, Prime Video, etc.

I'm getting frame drops/stutters (not sure what to call it) every now and then when I use my TV's built-in apps (50X90S). So far it's happened on Netflix, Prime Video and Freevee. After trying everything, I realised it's actually caused by the subtitles, and disabling them fixes the problem rightaway, making playback smooth again. Unfortunately I am quite dependent on subtitles for certain content.

It doesn't happen on external devices (i.e. a Roku) so I guess it's some sort of problem with Google TV? My TV is up to date with the latest firmware.

For the picture I use Custom mode at the default settings.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
pabulous

Update - I believe this may be caused by having Film Mode/Cinemotion set to High. I changed it to Low and the problem stopped happening.

This is far from ideal as having it set to High is essential for smooth playback without the yucky soap opera effect, but at least I know the cause.

profile.country.GB.title
Altiar
Community Team

@pabulous Maybe you should try to disconnect any external devices connected to the back of the TV and try to unplug the main power cord of the device, and plug it back after 2 minutes. Also, you can check the software version and ensure that the TV is updated as mentioned here and clearing the cache data is a great help you can do by following these steps: Press the (Quick Settings) button on the remote control, then select [Settings] — [System] — [Storage] — [Internal shared Storage] — [Cache Data] — [Clear cache data] — [Yes]

If all of those steps didn't help, you can try to do a factory reset to the TV and test it. Then you can contact Sony so they can check it properly with you.