Join now - be part of our community!

U.S.B Hdd wont work on p.c when taken from t.v

profile.country.GB.title
jace1969

U.S.B Hdd wont work on p.c when taken from t.v

I have a sony kd-49x8309c and i have had a 250gb Dongle in it working fine but i dont need it anymore so wanted to use it in Laptop but windows 10 keep saying u.s.b no recognized and tried everything,do i have to do something on the t.v to make it back to a normal u.s.b.drive.

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Did you use it for recording? You can unregister it from the TV (see Android TV Settings) which will re-format the drive in a PC compatible way.

Even with the TV's format on, you should still be able to see the drive in Windows Disk Management. You should be able to remove all volumes from the drive and re-partition and re-format it from there too. Google will help you on that.

profile.country.GB.title
barsoy74
Explorer

Since I was tired of "out of memory , please uninstall unnecessary files before installing new apps." message , I tried to use a usb flash drive for installing applications instead of internal drive. 

Now the usb pen is dead.

and NONE of the solutions work that google suggests.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Never use some USB storage to extend Android TV internal storage space on Sony. MediaTek USB drivers are really buggy and will make your TV go crazy at times. Check out my Sony Android TV bug tracker. You might want to apply the USB filter by chosing the respective label (or just click here).

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I discovered this problem last year:

The removed drive is not recognised when connected back to a Windows PC for reuse. You have to go into the 'Disk Management Console' where you will see the drive but it will be showing (or rather not showing) a valid file format such as NTFS or FAT32. You need to delete the volume and then recreate a new 'simple volume' picking either NTFS (recommended for a traditional drive) or FAT32 as the format type. So your drive is still 100% OK, it just needs reformatting back to something Windows (or OS) can recognise.

(Make sure to select the correct drive)  

When you have deleted the volume, right click it again and create 'New Simple Volume'.

Capture.JPG 

profile.country.GB.title
jace1969

Thanks all for that but there is a problem,when i go into Disc Managment because windows 10 dont reconize the drive its not in there to format,the only place i see it is windows Devise Manager where it has failed by it.

I i have tried a lot of stuff going through Devive Manager but no option to format.(this is on my new laptop)

Tried on t.v and just gives me the option to add as recordable device wheich is already been used for that before t.v was factory reset when it went away and i had it back 3 days ago.

Tried on old laptop and get the drive pop up on Disc Managment but nothing on it just blank all 0.

Right click and all i get is

change drive letter/paths.

properties.

Help

Nothing else comes up and no option anywhere to format

It also comes up through Properties that its MBR partition type but same again all empty with 0 by everything.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Although its difficult without actually being sat in front of the PC to see what you are seeing lets try this to be sure. You could perhaps try the second option using Diskpart first. Good luck.

Windows 10 PC.

1/ Plug the drive into the PC.

2/ In the search box at lower left type computer management and click the app that will be at the top of the list.

3/ Maximise the window (if it isn't already) and at the left menu expand the 'Storage' tab and click on the Disk Management tab.

4/ You should now see all partitions on your PC and also the USB drive. If needed scroll down to see the drive.

5/ Place the cursor over the main part of the drive, not the bit at the left, and right click. You should see the options to delete.

If that doesn't work then try this. Type commands exactly as written including spaces. Its not as scary as it looks:

1/ Make sure the drive is connected and then type diskpart into the search box. Open the app that will appear.

2/ Type list disk and then press enter. The USB drive should show up. Assuming you have no other drives connected it will probably be showing as Disk 1. If it is different then use the appropriate Disk number you see for your drive.

3/ Type select disk 1 and press enter.

4/ Type clean and press enter.

5/ Type create partition primary and press enter.

6/ Type select partition 1 and press enter. 

7/ Type active and press enter.

8/ Type format FS=NTFS and press enter. This takes a few minutes. 

9/ Type assign letter=G and press enter. You decide on the drive letter. It can be any letter not in use and can be easily changed later. Ignore any popup at this point asking what you want to do with removable drives.

10/ Type exit and press enter.

Now try the drive and see if it is recognised correctly.

Edit... I've just tidied this post.

The post below shows exactly what you should see as you type each command and that command is actioned. The format make take some time depending on the drive size but it will give a pecentage readout of how far along it is.   

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

This shows what you should see as you work through Diskpart. I don;t know why it comes up with an error (for me on this USB drive) the first time I run 'clean' but just repeat the 'clean' operation.

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.16299.15

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: DESKTOP-MKSQMNC

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          232 GB      0 B
  Disk 1    Online         1927 MB      0 B

DISKPART> select disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart has encountered an error: Access is denied.
See the System Event Log for more information.

DISKPART> clean

DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk.

DISKPART> create partition primary

DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition.

DISKPART> select partition 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> active

DiskPart marked the current partition as active.

DISKPART> format FS=NTFS

100 percent completed

DiskPart successfully formatted the volume.

DISKPART> assign letter G

DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point.

DISKPART> exit
profile.country.GB.title
jace1969

Mate i thank you so much for your help but i have done all above and got the exact stuff what you said and came up on your picture i have got but no u.s.b. drive,all i have is 0 which is my HDD with 931gb which is a 1 Tig HDD.

On the first thing you say do i get the same as if i just go through Disk Management (right click on windows bottom left then Disk Managment) but same resault.

All i want to do is format it back to work on my laptop as there is no films or anything on it.

Screenshot (2).png

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

This isn't sounding good but lets not give up just yet. You said earlier it showed up in 'Device Manager' but with a 'Failed' warning.

Are there any error codes listed if you right click the drive in Device Manager ? What happens if you click the 'Driver' tab and attempt to update the driver for the USB drive ?

One possible thing to check depending on your PC. Try plugging the drive into a USB 2 port and not a USB 3. Sometimes driver issues stop the drive being recognised correctly. Worth a try.

Capture.JPG