Join now - be part of our community!

Sony DSC RX-100 Screen goes black after taking photo, lens doesn't retract when power off, etc

profile.country.SE.title
josette1116
New

Sony DSC RX-100 Screen goes black after taking photo, lens doesn't retract when power off, etc

Hi!

I have a Sony RX-100 camera that have started to behave strangely, although I have not dropped it or anything.

It is a number of strange symtoms:

• After taking a photo, the screen goes black
    The picture does not get saved, so I can't take pictures with it. If I power off and on again, the screen is still black (or dark grey).
  • The camera does not start. Sometimes the power button blinks orange
    To start it I have to take out the battery and reinsert it. If it doesn't work the first time it may work the 2nd or 3rd. Otherwise I can try a different battery, or it might help to have it 100% charged.
    Some time the power button blinked orange a couple of times, then it didn't start. But that is not typical, mostly it does nothing when it doesn't start.
  • The lens does not retract when powering off
    This is consistent. It only retracts when it's on and I wait a while, or press the image library button (or what it's called), then it retracts.
  • Manual focusing causes the image on the display to freeze for a couple of seconds, orange square appears at the bottom of the screen.
    When turning the focus, the picture freezes and moves a bit back and forth, then goes back to normal. The focusing works but it I'm interrupted by this behaviour. During the freezing, there is a small black screen in the bottom left with a orange square:
    During manual focusing, freezes 2-3 secoondsDuring manual focusing, freezes 2-3 secoonds

I bought an extra battery, Jupio CSO0026 , which is supposed to be working for this camera.

I have done a reset : in the menu on "initialize", there are three options "Reset default", "Rec mode reset", "Custom reset". I have done all three of them.

I have done a firmware upgrade, so it now has version 1.10.

I hope that someone knows about this issue and some ideas how to fix it!

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
SatoruGojo
Community Team

@josette1116, try to remove the batteries for 1 or 2 minute and then reinsert them. If you use any accessories, try removing them as well.