Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-42w815 Optical output problem

rl31walshy

KDL-42w815 Optical output problem

Hi everyone,

Due to the weedy sound to the above I've purchased a Cambridge Audio TV2 soundstage. I'm really happy with it however I've found a slight issue which I have traced back to the tv.

Watching the film Oblivion I noticed during a quiet scene there were a few sound drop outs. I can reproduce the issue by replaying the scene. Connecting the audio directly from the player to the soundstage, the issue goes away hence it must be the tv(?)

I've also noticed there's drop out at the very start of adverts. Literally the first 0.5 second but seems to always occur.

It's under warranty so I could get it fixed but wondered if there are any outstanding issues with optical out that people are aware of with the Sony Bravia?

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I am not aware of any issues in regards to optical out any of the Sony range of TVs (at this moment).  Having a look at the Cambridge Soundstage, its a pity that it doesnt have HDMI inputs :slight_smile:

Cheers

davehsug
Explorer

I have a similar problem with a W42KBK829 tv connected to a Sony ht-ct60-bt soundbar. It is continuously missing the first second or so of audio. I noticed it at first on adverts, but now I notice it on news programmes, that the first second or so of a rport is missed. If there is any other background music or sound, it doesn't hapoen, it's purely when a voice is the only sound. It's really nnoying.

Ca anyone offer any help please?

rl31walshy

Davehsug - sounds pretty much exactly the same issue I'm having.

I suppose it's probably more likely a software fault rather than a 'broken' Sony so there's always the hope a firmware update may solve the problem at a later date.

I'll try and log a call with Sony - last time I tried their website was hanging.

davehsug
Explorer

Thanks for that. I'll keep my fingers crossed

rl31walshy

A bit of an update for you:

Still really struggling to get an answer from Sony I went back to John Lewis who I bought the tv from.

They had more joy getting hold of Sony. It seems Sony were aware that this can happen although they didn't go as far as to suggect this is product fault. 

This is where it gets a little hazy as the info passed back to me was second hand (chinese whispers.) The answer was it was something to do with how the tv interprete the different HD signals (1080i,1080p, etc.) The guy from JL was basically saying when the transmission signal 'changed' (i.e. each advert or each news report) the TV was assuming the wrong signal type and the short drop out was caused by it reassessing the signal and switching to the correct type.

The official line was that this shouldn't happen particularly if the firmware is up to date (which it is.) However, even though the firmware is up to date , a glitch was probably introduced during the firmware upgrade process ( I suppose we've all had to uninstall and reinstall some windows app at some stage for no apparent reason.) Normally JL would send out an engineer to look at it but as it's so new they're going to swap it out for a new one.

This is due to happen on the 19/03/15 so I'll update you once the new one has arrived.

Bottom line is get hold of Sony!! It shouldn't do this!!

rl31walshy

New TV - same problem - back to John Lewis.

I'll keep you posted.

rl31walshy

So the news is now that JL says Sony is unaware of an issue with this set (?!?) - not sure what's happened over the last few weeks?

They've offered me an alternative set - %^$££$%$%^