Join now - be part of our community!

Why is my TV on standby in the morning when I've turned it off at the TV the previous night.

bornfromanegg
Explorer

Why is my TV on standby in the morning when I've turned it off at the TV the previous night.

I have a Bravia KDL-40HX723. Every night, when I've finished watching TV, I turn it off at the switch on the side, and go to bed. The light on the front of the TV is off.

More often than not, I will come down the next day and find the TV in standby - i.e. The light on the front of the TV is red. This happens very frequently.

Why is this, and can I stop it?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

As far as im aware, the power switch at the side is not a full cut-out switch. So the tv is checking for updates overnight as well as doing an autoscan for new channels. To test this theory, disable the checking for updates AND switch off 'digital auto service update'. See tvs manual for instructions.

Cheers
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi, why not swich off at the mains rather than use the switch on the side of your Bravia!
bornfromanegg
Explorer

@Anonymous, thanks for that. I'll try that and see what happens. Cheers
bornfromanegg
Explorer

Hi, not really possible to unplug it, I'm afraid. It's plugged into a big 10 way which is unreachable without moving the actual TV. Not something I want to be doing late at night before I go to bed!
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

That is a good enough reason let's hope Quinnicus suggestion works
bornfromanegg
Explorer

Hi everyone. So I switched of the digital auto service updates and the updates check, but it still finds its way back to standby by the morning. I can't see anything else in the menus that seems relevant. Any ideas?
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi bornfromanegg,

I wonder :question:

i) Do you have someone in your family that enjoys late night TV after you have gone to bed ?

ii) Do you have a lodger / squatter who hides during the day and uses your TV at night ?

iii) Is it something more sinister such as a poltergeist :ghost:

Not much help at all :thinking:

Seriously, there must be others out there with this issue you would have thought ?

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
PowerLee

Any kind of Freeview PVR device connected via HDMI to the tv?

If there is then these normally power up for a few minutes around 3am to update thereselves, wonder if one of these powering up could also make the tv think it needs to power itself up & then when the PVR powers down again the tv switches back to standby?