Join now - be part of our community!

disk space for ipod tunes

profile.country.en_GB.title
mahumme95
Visitor

disk space for ipod tunes

Hi, I have recently bought a 60gb ipod and have been transferring tunes to itunes on my c: drive. This drive is now full as the 60gb HDD is split 30gb on c: and d: drives (d: is empty). I have tried to cut and paste all documents and settings (includes itunes) to d: drive but it won't let me. I have also been told there is a way of changing the disk volumes for c: and d: drive but can't find anything. Any ideas?

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi and welcome to Club Vaio.

Rather than trying to cut and paste the My Documents folder over to the 😧 drive use the Move facility.

Right click on the My Documents desktop icon (or in Windows Explorer) and select Properties. On the Target tab, click Move…, in the next window expand My Computer, single left click on the 😧 drive and then OK.

This should retain all links to data files.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kianol
Visitor

You can amalgamate the 2 partions back into one but you'll need something like Partition Magic to do so. Be careful not to remove your recovery partition on the C drive though

mahumme95
Visitor

Thanks for this. I have now moved files (over 2 hours!) and changed iTunes settings. Just about to test it out before deleting files on c: drive.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Just about to test it out before deleting files on c: drive.

:thinking: Normally there is no need to delete any files on the C: drive after re-locating My Documents to the 😧 drive - they should have been moved, not copied.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

In iTunes you can move the music by going to Preferences

GazzaBloom
Visitor

Buy a standalone hard drive (either USB or Network if you use a router) I used to store all my music (60GB) on my hard drive but if you ever need to restore your machine it's a bit of a problem.

I use a Maxtor 300GB network drive which can be accessed via my wireless router.

Gazza

mahumme95
Visitor

thanks for all the replies;
Kee-lo: using iTunes method (drag to new area) it copied all the files rather than move them, then i had to delete existing files. I have also lost about 50cds worth but the deleted files were deleted as too big for recycle bin. I should have waited for Rich and followed his method. I should still have the cds on DVD backup though.
GazzaBloom: My thoughts were heading this way as got a 60gb iPod and only 60gb HDD. Saves all the repartioning problems i will have and/or getting a new IHDD (if it is possible).
Any makes to look for and makes to stay clear of?

kee-lo_

Well in preferences you can state where they should go then click on move

mahumme95
Visitor

I am now the proud owner of an Iomega desktop 250gb usb 2 hard drive (150€ about £100 in France). All sounds have now been moved across to this. iTunes can now find them, i had to drag the folder into iTunes for this. My laptop now also has lots of disk space again.
My laptop has also been backed up to this drive ( a lot easier than copying loads of DVDs).
Many thanks to everyone for their help.