Join now - be part of our community!

DVD drive can't read cd or dvd's

len112
Visitor

DVD drive can't read cd or dvd's

I have recently developed a problem with my Dvd writer it shows up in my computer but I can't explore the contents of any discs that I put into it , they show up as blank , I'm wondering if it's something basic like the laser not working as everything else on the computer works fine .I reinstalled the driver and that makes no difference the Pc model is pcv rs402 and the dvd writer is Sony DVD RW DW -U14A It's shown as having no problems in device manager but doesn't respond to any type of disc

20 REPLIES 20
chrissy.y2k
Visitor

This does sound like a malfunction of ur drive in some form!!
so am i right in saying you have used the recovery disk to reinstall the drivers?? how long have you had your system is it still on "Warranty" you may be looking at a new drive...... 😞

regards chris ** :slight_smile: :cool:

len112
Visitor

I haven't used the recovery disc to replace the drivers but I deleted them and the system replaced them automatically , but stlill no improvement , thankfully the system is still under warranty .

chrissy.y2k
Visitor

gd gd thats a relief i would get the drive replaced you have done everthing you can!!!!!!!

regards chris ** :cool:

guitarkid
Visitor

before you replace the drive and if you are confident enough you could open up your pc and check all the cables are connected properly.. you may have simply moved the machine and a cable loosened....

where you are lucky is that if you do need a new drive, its a standard drive, so you could think of upgrading to maybe an 8-16x dual layer drive, they run at around 50-80 quid now and if you are just after a 4x single layer like the one you have, well cheap now...

i cant help thinking that its nothing more than a glitch tho'...

reaper
Visitor

yeah i have the same drive as that in my vaio rs224

it suffer's from bad block's for some reason

have you updated the driver's from the vaio link ?

chrissy.y2k
Visitor

8-16x dual layer drive, they run at around 50-80 quid now and if you are just after a 4x single layer like the one you have, well cheap now...
:heart_eyes:

Christ 50-80 quid for dual layer dvd drive thats cheap where u get them sorts of prices from recommend any gd makes?? :laughing: :laughing: :cool: :heart_eyes:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

chrissy.y2k
Visitor

cheers kee - lo yeah bought ocz 3200 memory from there for my rs 402 well cheap so have to look there for one of thos drives........

cheers again m8"" :smileygrin:

:laughing: :cool:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

No problem.