Join now - be part of our community!

DVD drive can't read cd or dvd's

len112
Visitor

DVD drive can't read cd or dvd's

I have recently developed a problem with my Dvd writer it shows up in my computer but I can't explore the contents of any discs that I put into it , they show up as blank , I'm wondering if it's something basic like the laser not working as everything else on the computer works fine .I reinstalled the driver and that makes no difference the Pc model is pcv rs402 and the dvd writer is Sony DVD RW DW -U14A It's shown as having no problems in device manager but doesn't respond to any type of disc

20 REPLIES 20
chuckalicious
Visitor

Just to put my tuppance worth in, I would agree the drive sounds wasted, however you could try cleaning the laser with an appropriate drive cleaner, much cheaper than a new drive, however not knowing if it's broken or not is a good reason to go out and buy a new and better drive :slight_smile:

len112
Visitor

This seems to be more than just a bad block , the drive seems to be almost totally invisible to my computer , almost positive that it's a hardware problem , have downloaded updated drivers and installed them but nothing happens,device manager shows the device as working normally , so it looks like i'm going to have to have a replacement , thankfully under warranty , hopefully I can persuade them to fit one of those dual layer drives

guitarkid
Visitor

www.blankdiscshop.co.uk they have some cheap drives, not as big a choice as ebuyer, but a little cheaper....

guitarkid
Visitor

like this one chrissy..

{HA 4101}***Black*** NEC 3500 16x DVD+/-R writer with 4x Double Layer DVDR writing compatibility and 48x CDR writing compatibility.

NEC are always at the forefront of DVD writing technology. If you are deciding which DVD writer to buy, this model needs to be on your shortlist.

SVP Price: £56.99 / ¿83.65. Prices include VAT.

Quantity:
Add a pack of 25 Datawrite Grey 8x DVD-R for £5.99
Add a pack of 25 ANV Ritek (G05) 8x DVD-R for £7.89
Add a copy of Nero suite 3 for £7.99
Add a copy of Nero suite 1 for £3.98
Add a copy of dvdXcopy for £4.99

they even have an external for 89 quid...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thats a nice price and NEC's are usually very good.

guitarkid
Visitor

yeah, NEC do get pretty good reviews, that site is a nice little site, i stumbled upon one day, have used it for media ever since...

they take paypal too.. and always choose there cheapest courier option £3.99 cos it still only takes 2 days...

kee-lo_

Yeah thats one thing I don't like about buying media online, the price of it's delivery but this place looks more reasonable.

chrissy.y2k
Visitor

Yeah thats one thing I don't like about buying media online, the price of it's delivery but this place looks more reasonable.

yeah tell me about it the delivery prices are shocking half the time!!
:slight_frown:

kee-lo_

That's why I use eBuyer :smileygrin:

guitarkid
Visitor

its all about the quantity, no way would i pay 6 quid for a pack of discs, then 4 quid postage, but my friends and family pretty much always buy at the same time so we will have like a 50 quid order, 4 quid aint so bad then...