Join now - be part of our community!

External display switching

hazymat
Visitor

External display switching

Dear all

When I first got my laptop, it used to automatically detect when I plugged an external screen in, and switch display mode accordingly. There were also graphics options on the context menu when you right-click on the desktop.

Since then, it hasn't really worked. I'm not in the position to be able to restore from original backup CDs (I have tonnes of software and settings and docs on here now and have backed up since then).

Is it the Sony Notebook Setup application that automatically enables the second screen and extends desktop? Every time I plug and unplug the external display I have to enable it in the Windows display control panel. I've reinstalled all the Sony stock drivers for graphics specific for my model, the VGN-S2HP.

p.s. in the Radeon extended control panel, under the displays tab, there are no options for automatically detecting external displays, BUT it does recognise when one is or isn't connected.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Dear all

When I first got my laptop, it used to automatically detect when I plugged an external screen in, and switch display mode accordingly. There were also graphics options on the context menu when you right-click on the desktop.

Since then, it hasn't really worked. I'm not in the position to be able to restore from original backup CDs (I have tonnes of software and settings and docs on here now and have backed up since then).

Is it the Sony Notebook Setup application that automatically enables the second screen and extends desktop? Every time I plug and unplug the external display I have to enable it in the Windows display control panel. I've reinstalled all the Sony stock drivers for graphics specific for my model, the VGN-S2HP.

p.s. in the Radeon extended control panel, under the displays tab, there are no options for automatically detecting external displays, BUT it does recognise when one is or isn't connected.

Hi hazymat,

If you open start > All programs > Vaio Control Centre > Plug and Display; Enable automatic output function.

hazymat
Visitor

Hiya

I checked this already 😞

(It appears in a program called Sony Notebook Setup on my Vaio; there's no program called "Vaio Control Center"...)

I've done this and it still doesn't work:

I've reinstalled this utility but still no joy.

Any ideas?