Join now - be part of our community!

Flickering Display pcg fr215s

pickledjudge
Visitor

Flickering Display pcg fr215s

Hi Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong with this laptop. When first switched on the display flickers to the point of total whiteout, back to just slight shimmering very rapidly. Clean install of windows xp pro. BIOS update to ro103k7. ATI update from sony website, all carried out. After 5 to 10 minutes gradually settles down to solid display, sometimes flickers briefly during first hour or so then is ok. Any advice gratefully recieved, Thanks. Almost at point of ripping hair out!!:smileycry:

13 REPLIES 13
TygerTyger
Visitor

This is a well known problem although I'm not sure yours is quite like the others. At any rate as far as I know Sony have replaced all the screens that have flickered free of charge if it's under warranty still so best to go to their support really.

tOnGAs
Visitor

I too have a very similar problem with my PCG-K215S.
After some time, the display flickers really wild for a few seconds, then gets back to normal.

Id did no update except a clean install (and a partition resize) using the recovery disc, and then removed all the unnecessary software (at least for me) : SonicStage, MoodLogic, Drag'n Drop CD+DVD, Click to DVD, Works 7.0, Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition, Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0, PictureGear Studio, Norton Internet Security 2004, Adobe Premiere Standard...

The problem occured while I was working on battery power only, and later during a re-charge.

Let's hope this is no hardware problem. I only bought my notebook a few weeks ago.

Any help or advice is welcome. Thanks.

PS : sorry for my bad english.

TygerTyger
Visitor

I'm afraid it is a hardware problem, it comes up quite a lot on the forum here. As I say, as long as it's within warranty Sony fix it for free so don't worry too much. It's just a few days without your computer unfortunately when it gets sent off.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

It's quite bad p[ractice to have so many of these units coming back isn't it?

Ysanne
Visitor

Hi,
I've seen this problem on my dad's old Siemens notebook, twice. First it was shortly before the display broke off where it's connected to the keyboard. Most notebooks of that series had this problem, so he just got a new notebook for free. This new one is starting to do it again, and tech support says that this is a sign of the flatband cable breaking that's bent everytime you open/close the display, and therefore a hardware error. But our warranty has run out so no new display... 😞
Anyway, I would have Sony replace this kind of flickering stuff.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Hey now that's interesting. I wonder what causes it to happen to new laptops then? Can't be wear and tear unless the componants are just cheap.

kee-lo_

Wouldn't put it past them Tyger.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Um really? I don't know what to say to that I assumed perhaps rather naively in retrospect that because they were expensive they were at least well made with good parts.

kee-lo_

Some bits are a bit cheap mind you...