Join now - be part of our community!

Flickering Display pcg fr215s

pickledjudge
Visitor

Flickering Display pcg fr215s

Hi Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong with this laptop. When first switched on the display flickers to the point of total whiteout, back to just slight shimmering very rapidly. Clean install of windows xp pro. BIOS update to ro103k7. ATI update from sony website, all carried out. After 5 to 10 minutes gradually settles down to solid display, sometimes flickers briefly during first hour or so then is ok. Any advice gratefully recieved, Thanks. Almost at point of ripping hair out!!:smileycry:

13 REPLIES 13
tOnGAs
Visitor

I'm afraid it is a hardware problem, it comes up quite a lot on the forum here. As I say, as long as it's within warranty Sony fix it for free so don't worry too much. It's just a few days without your computer unfortunately when it gets sent off.

Hello and thanks for your answer.

Last evening I had to work with my Vaio for a very long period of time. The "flicker" problem came up again and again. Each time with much worse results. I had urgent work to complete so I didn't give up. :devil: At one point, I was able to painly access the control panel and change the screen resolution... and *poof* the flicker was gone ! I did that about 2 or 3 times.

I'm beginning to suspect a more software-related problem. Every time the flicker showed up, I was using the same program. Now that my work is done, I will try using the notebook for a long period (with a game for example).
And then, I'll try again with a complete different OS (Knoppix live-Cd).

See you later for more updates !

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Using the notebook in a native resolution is recomended.

TygerTyger
Visitor

If you set the resolution higher than it is supposed to go then things are probably going to get funky in one way or another. You might even do some real damage.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Best having it looked at under warranty.