Join now - be part of our community!

Graphics cards

nick_pan
Visitor

Graphics cards

My final informative post for the time being.

Graphics cards in Sony Vaios..

The question, 'can i upgrade my gfx card?' from what I can see is one of the most popular question on this forum..
The short answer, as many of you know is NO. Graphics cards are integrated onto the motherboard and therefore cannot be changed until we start seeing PCI Express slots in laptops in a year or two..

'Are there newer drivers for my gfx card? because i can't see any listed on the sony website..'
Currently NO..as Sony seem to be quite sluggish releasing new drivers for their laptop components. As far as i know, there are a few alternatives which ARE NOT SUPPORTED BY SONY.
For example, Omega have released their ATI Catalyst drivers which support a majority of ATI's mobility range.
You can get them here; http://downloads.driverheaven.net/index4.htm

A few things to mention about these,
a) They have reportedly messed up some peoples laptops so use them at your own risk
b) dont think updated drivers = better gfx
c) this set of drivers has overclocking utilities which is extremely unwise in a laptop due to overheating issues..
If you burn out of gfx card because you've overclocked it, its highly unlikely that Sony will fix it.

The drivers that come with most sony laptops are sufficient enough, and you should stick with them until there is an official driver update for their gfx cards..

Furthermore, rather than updating the gfx cards drivers, make sure u look out official game patches, for the game u wish to play, as in my experience, these often improve game play due to glitches which the game devs have now fixed.

Also make sure that your laptop is in good order before you try play any demanding game. See this post http://www.club-vaio.sony-europe.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=11565 , which shows u how to ensure your vaio is running at peak performance..

Finally, a laptop is a laptop. In this day and age, they will never be as powerful as a desktop so dont expect superb graphics in any game that you play. Laptop graphics cards are cut down versions of desktop graphics cards. A radeon 9600 for example, is alot more powerful than the ATI Radeion Mobility edition seen in laptops..

For this reason, dont be too hopeful. I would like to add, that as long as your willing to play with your gfx options set to MEDIUM or LOW, a ATI Radeon Mobility 9200, should still allow you play some of todays most demanding games; Farcry for example..

Happy gaming!

48 REPLIES 48
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hehehe don't forget now....

zogough35
Visitor

Hi All

Thanks to Nick_pan's original post in this topic, i've just managed to get the sims 2 running on my PCG-K215S (Ati Mobility Radeon 9200) using the Omega drivers.

I did have to format and clean install windows first though. The game still wouldn't work when i tried installing the drivers over the top of the existing ones.

Oh, and incidentally, the other drivers (further down in the topic) don't work for this model.

Cheers Nick!

orangemog

TygerTyger
Visitor

Yeah that's how I had to get the Sims 2 running too, although I didn't have to reformat. Did you uninstall the ATI control panel first? The seconds lot of drivesr do work btw I was using them until today :wink:

kee-lo_

Result.

Qarinx
Visitor

I would love to get the Sims 2 to work on my computer, because I'm really annoyed that I have the game on my desk not being able to play it... but I'm too afraid to mess up my computer by installing the Omega drivers. Besides I don't want to get myself into formatting, de-installing windows etc.

I emailed Sony Europe asking them if they could provide me the updated drivers, but they still didn't reply.

I guess that I need to be very patient..

TygerTyger
Visitor

I think that's a very sensible strategy to take, more so than risking third party drivers. Besides I don't think that Sony will have much choice other than to release new drivers, given the gap from the last ones and the fact what will probably became a very popular game won't work.

Damien
Visitor

I have a k215s and WANT new drivers too!!

I'm in the same boat as you Qarinx, i'm a novice and dont feel confident in removing the Sony drivers and replacing them with third party ones...especially if i have to start messing about with the windows system...
I've only just re-formatted since a virus...dont want to go through all that again!

On that note...just wanted to say thanks to Kee-Lo, Nick-Pan and the others who all helped me with the problem. As you may remember i couldn't get into Windows, even through safe mode. All said a re-formatwas necessary, which only took 11 minutes. I am now back up and running nicely, and have managed to re-install most of the software i previously had, and have got rid of all the 'rubbush'.

At least i'm now much more prepared for any future problems, having put most of the programs on one disc, and using my external hard-drive much more, as well as backing up sonicstage properly (You were right Kee-Lo!)
So thanks guys for all you're help!

Back to the graphics cards subject...
If we all 'harrass' Sony, about the driver updates do you think they'll listen to a majority?!?

kee-lo_

It's paramount to backup SonicStage

Qarinx
Visitor

I have a k215s and WANT new drivers too!!
Back to the graphics cards subject...
If we all 'harrass' Sony, about the driver updates do you think they'll listen to a majority?!?

Did you already send them an email?
I

zogough35
Visitor

Yeah that's how I had to get the Sims 2 running too, although I didn't have to reformat. Did you uninstall the ATI control panel first? The seconds lot of drivesr do work btw I was using them until today :wink:

Do you have a K215S too? I tried installing the second lot of drivers on a completely formatted system - the only other thing on there was windows and DX9.0c. It said my system didn't have the correct device and stopped installation.

Anyway, it's a moot point now, since i have my game running, and i also have XP Pro instead of Home, which i had been intending to do anyway :smileygrin:

orangemog