Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-K315M Screen Dim

robela
Visitor

PCG-K315M Screen Dim

Hi,

I'm having it collected for repair next week, but here's the problem any way...

When WinXP loads the screen goes really dim. I don't think it is the backlight or inverter, because you can see the VAIO splash screen and BIOS menu. Checked ALL settings, ok. Tried recovery, same. Re-installed WinXP, same. Tried loading Win98 to see if it was an XP fault, all looked ok until the [;ug and play installation, where it stopped installing. Up to that point the screen was perfectly normally. Tried to reload WinXP, but even that fails to install now, something about Policy error. Could just be a problem with the disc though. Anyway, I've given up and it's going for repair.

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Robela,

Sounds like the problem happens when the Colour Profile is loaded.

What Colour Profile is it using? Look in Control Panel - Display - Settings - Advanced - Colour Management.

I think you have the ATI Display card. Have you tried adjusting the screen in the display card's utilities? (another tab in the same Advanced Menu).

Do you have Adobe Gamma in your Control Panel?

robela
Visitor

Hi,

I think you are correct and thats the best diagnosis I have had for two weeks!

Unfortunately, I uninstalled WinXP to see if that was the problem, then re-installed another version that someone had because I didn't get it on CD when I bought the laptop. That didn't fix it, so I tried Win98, thought it was going ok until an error occurred at Plug and Play. Loaded Knoppix (LINUX) and that loaded ok in Failsafe mode only (Safe Mode). I copied the WinXP CD and tried to reload it, but it throws up an error during installation, something to do with policy?? That might be an error on the disc because of the way it was copied????

Anyway, I can't use it at all now, unless I can get WinXP again.

I will try the things you suggested, but I think I already have done.

Actually, come to think of it, I did open a program called Adobe Gamma in the Control Panel, but a wizard program started, so I clicked cancel. That was one of the last things I did before I closed it down. The next time I powered it up I had the dim screen problem!!!!!!!!!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It does sound like you have somehow changed or deleted the screen's Colour Profile.

If you still have Adobe Gamma available you can fix things by selecting the control panel (not the wizard!), adjusting the brightness/contrast/colours to your liking and then saving the Colour Profile you have created as (say) "robelaRGB". Then set this as your default Profile and it will load with those settings every time you boot up.

I'm sure the K315M comes with a full recovery suite in a partition on your hard drive (unless you went to a lot of trouble to remove it when you first got the machine). You cannot see this anyhere but it will be there. You should be able to reinstate your laptop to its original factory settings.

This would also reinstall the Sony Colour Profile but would remove everything in Drive C: (but not D:). See if you still have C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Recovery Utility on your hard drive. If you have Run it to recover your original XP operating system and original programs. You will want to copy any data from C: to 😧 so it isn't lost. You will need advice from someone more knowledgeable than me if you have deleted the Recovery Utility.

Kee-Lo or William can you help? Can you Recover from the hard disc another way? What happens if you can't open Windows?

You will also have to reapply any updates and reinstall all the programs you have added since you got the machine - which can be a long job!!!

Good Luck

robela
Visitor

Hi and thanks for your help.

When I first got the laptop, I created two DVD's using Sony VAIO Recovery. I have also successfully managed to recover the operating system and applications:) I did this using an external monitor and I also did a complete recovery, which is the 3rd option in the recovery process. This process completed in 2 hours.

The screen still goes dim when WinXP starts.

Going back to just the laptop screen and using a very bright over it to see a faint windows desktop, I've found Adobe Gamma again in the Control Panel and used the Wizard and the Control Panel as you suggest, however, I can only see a very small difference between Before and After.

Do you know of anything else I can try before Sony collect it on Tuesday? Many thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I don't have anything to offer in the way of a solution, but just as a matter of interest what happens if you start in Safe Mode? If all is OK it may point to a driver problem.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
robela
Visitor

Hi, I haven't tried Safe Mode since I did the recovery tonight, but the last time I powered up in Safe Mode it was the same. I will try it again tomorrow though:)

Could I have a firmware problem with a device in the video circuit? Can you get firmware updates and reprogram?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

The only available firmware update on Vaio-Link, for your model, is a BIOS upgrade and this does not address your problem:smileysad:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry that doesn't work and I can't think of anything else. I still think it is a fault when your ATI card tries to load the colour profile - you could try another profile like Adobe1998, Sony_|65 or RGB_somethingorother.

You can also adjust up brightness and contrast by 100% each in the ATI Card settings (Display/Settings/Advanced/ATIColor) but from what you say this will probably not be enough. While you're there have a look through all the 4 ATI pages to make sure the ATI Driver has reinstalled and the card is configured for your flat panel.

There have been a number of recent posts on this site about the Function Keys suddenly stopping working and you could have an associated problem. If you hold down the blue Fn and tap away at F6, does it make a difference? Most K315Ms need maximum brightness in this way and it is possible yours is stuck on minimum.

Sorry I can't be of much help!

robela
Visitor

I've re-tried Safe Mode and that also still goes dim.

I'll looked at the ATI settings and tried loading different colour profiles, but still no difference. Brightness setting is at max and tapping Fn +F5 and Fn +F6 does dec and inc the Brightness bars, but makes no difference to the screen. I guess this means the Fn keys are working.