Join now - be part of our community!

USB Power Surge when plugging in iPOD

til_I_die
Visitor

USB Power Surge when plugging in iPOD

Using a PCG-800M Laptop.

For over 12months I've been happily loading tunes from the PC to 3 different iPOD minis via one of my USB ports. Suddenly I have started getting a "USB Power surge error" pop up when plugging in one of the iPODs. Tried a second and it worked fine. Go back to the first one and again I get the error and the PC will not recognise the device is attached.

I've looked on various forums for this error but the suggested solutions all seem to be around providing separate power to the remote device. I don't believe I can do that with the ipod as there is only one input for data and power.

Some forums suggest this is a Microsoft bug and others suggest it's short circuiting of the power to the usbs. In most cases they are discussing desktop PCs and installing new usb hubs or disconnecting the hub from the motherboard. With mine being a laptop I don't intend trying anything like that.

Please help !!!!

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You can with the USB cable Apple sell, but a simple powered USB hub is cheaper.

Sounds like you might have added more USB devices?

colinmann
Visitor

are you using the docking station? my docking station give me grief when i try and put a usb hub into it.

til_I_die
Visitor

I've got other devices that I attach via USB. Usually have my wireless mouse in and also attach a card reader.

I've tried all the iPOD on all 3 usb ports and I have removed the other devices but still does not work. The crazy thing is that all the other devices work fine including the two other iPODs. So to me that says it's something to do with this particular iPOD but I'm sure Apple will say it's the PC.

I'm not using a dock but have tried through one without any success. I've also made sure the iPOD is fully charged so it shouldn't be trying to suck power to charge up.

Going to hopefully try it on another PC.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Let us know how it goes