Join now - be part of our community!

When on desk for a longer time - how to charge?

per_s
Visitor

When on desk for a longer time - how to charge?

I have my Vaio VGN-FS295VP stationed on my desk most of the time. I just move it when I take it with me, lets say 5 times a month.

What would be the best solution, not to kill the battery:

1. Have the charger connected all the time so the batterylevel never drops? Just disconnect when the computer is moved. Risk to overcharge the battery?

2. Have the charger connected all the time so the batterylevel never drops. Disconnect once a week and let the battery drop to 15% and recharge?

3. Disconnect the charger (with a switch) over the night? The battery will drop to perhaps 80%, and then when I turn on the computer it'll be recharged. This will then happen more or less daily.

Please give me your advise how you do!

Best regards from Sweden / Per Soder

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would charge it fully the day before you go, otherwise keep it out of the machine to save cycles

SergeMoscow
Visitor

I'd like to say about one problem with VAIO S4. I guess, it's common for other models of Sony.
My first notebook was Sony FX-220. On/off switch was just under the screen, if I remember properly. I've used that computer without external monitor.
Then I've bought V505. I'd like to say, that it was the best series of Sony notebooks. IMHO, of course. This switch was at the front "panel" of notebook I was able to switch it on without opening the screen. As I worked with external monitor, it was extremely convenient.
My current Sony, S4 again has this switch just under the screen and I must open notebook every day. It's absolutely uncomfortable. I disappointed with this desicion of Sony!
BHW, I'd like to say, that additional inch (13` instead of 12` in V505) makes S4 not so comfortable in usage and does not give any additional advantages. Notebooks becames just larger, that's all...

per_s
Visitor

Good idea! Of course the best idea must be to have the battery out of the machine (why didn't I think of that...).

Thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Good idea! Of course the best idea must be to have the battery out of the machine

Here is a guide to lengthening a laptop battery life

Hope you find it useful :slight_smile:

kee-lo_

Apple have a good guide too

per_s
Visitor

Good idea! Of course the best idea must be to have the battery out of the machine

Here is a guide to lengthening a laptop battery life

Hope you find it useful :slight_smile:

Very good, thanks a bunch!

Kee-Lo,
Do you have any link to Apple's?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Very good, thanks a bunch!

You're welcome per_s :slight_smile:

kee-lo_