Join now - be part of our community!

Marshmallow Broke OTG for Multi-user

SOLVED
TechnoRebel
Visitor

Marshmallow Broke OTG for Multi-user

Hello,

A few months ago I decided to get an Xperia Z4 Tablet as a replacement for my parents' old desktop they'd been using for Facebook, browsing, etc. It was a more-than-perfect fit and the desktop was soon after disintegrated and recycled for good.

So, the tablet is being shared and multiple device accounts are being utilized for the purpose - the way it should be. Another critical functionality is the USB OTG - needed for managing flash drives and digital cameras.

Everything had been fine, till the Marshmallow update. Initially I praised the delivery (and hope this wonderfull device will see many more in the years to come, hehe [I might be even willing to pay for them!]), but later on, I stumbled upon the following fact:

A regular, non-'owner', user cannot access USB storage devices.

I know about the Storage Access Framework (personally have been waiting for its adoption for years, because of its security benefits) and the according UI changes in Marshmallow. With the 'owner' user, I can use USB storage devices - the notification, the entry in Settings for the external storage show up, everything works as expected - no complains, praises for the SAF. I can't find a way for a regular user to accomplish that, though. Am I missing something? Hope so, because this device is a work of art and was, as I said, a more-than-perfect replacement for the consumer-only PC. Now, the lack of OTG functionality for regular users would turn it into an expensive disappointment.

Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TechnoRebel
Visitor

This got fixed in Nougat Slightly_smiling_Face

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
TechnoRebel
Visitor

This got fixed in Nougat Slightly_smiling_Face