Join now - be part of our community!

Power\lock button does not working

3omda619
Visitor

Power\lock button does not working

Dear Sony, 

I bought the Xperia Z Tablet LTE 16g about a month ago.

Now the power button and the headphone port are not working anymore and I don't know why.

Today my battery drained and I can't turn it on again and I don't know what to do.

please HELP!!!!!

73 REPLIES 73
eklem
Visitor

So, drained the batteries, charged it, did the Sony Bridge repair-stuff... and nothing. So, now it's pretty useless piece of electronics. Seems I can get it started by connecting it to my Mac (with Sony Bridge installed), but no minijack-plug is a no-go, so have to send it back to the shop.

eklem
Visitor

@Rickard wrote:

If the power button doesn't work even after a software repair you need to contact a service location or local Sony Xperia support (http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/) to have your tablet repaired/replaced. This is not something that we can fix through a software update.

Think it would be good to inform us what has actually been done in this case. What have you tested, what have you done to try to test etc.

Fenther
Visitor

I have the same problem and I don't know how to fix it.
eklem
Visitor

@Fenther wrote:
I have the same problem and I don't know how to fix it.

I'm guessing, as others do here, that it's a hardware failure caused by minijack beeing plugged in and out several times combined with weak production/design. So, demanding it fixed/replaced would be a good start.

Reason for the guessing is that it doesn't get fixed by resetting Android OS or doing the Sony Bridge Software Repair. In addition the minijack port and powerbutton is really close to each other on the tablet.

You should go to the first post in the thread and click "Me too" next to the link telling "[x] others had this problem".

Stackpointer
Visitor

I think Sony should admit this problem as they admit it with PS4 controllers, it would save us a lot of time... And by the way they should rethink the design of this thing, because even if they give me a new one, it's a matter of time before this happens, and after 2 years bye bye warranty and we have a very expensive paper weight.

circuitsolver
Visitor

hi, eklem

i  read yours and many others post about this issue when i got my xperia tablet from a liquidation warehouse and had the same problem. i hate to break it to you guys but its a hardware issue... the good thing is its very easy to fix.. 

the problem is that the connector for the volume and power button are one in the same unit. i took the back off my xperia after looking at sony's tear down  that they have online. I found the connecter and what do you know it was loose and about to come off the board. i simply pushed it back into place and there you go its working. this happend twice and so i took some clear yellow tape that i found on another board to hold it down. no problems since. hope this helps you guys.

Tags (2)
eklem
Visitor

Thanks circuitsolver, that did the trick, my tab is now working nicely again. Seems that the movement created by pressing the power button or inserting the minijack will make the connector pop out of place. If it pops out again I'll try and see if I can manage to press the contact in place through the back plate (plastic).

Teardown video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zczfTnBFqtA

Strange that Sony hasn't made a small statement here, or other places, explaining that it is a small hardware issue. Openness beats most brand secrecy.

PS: Opening your tab will void your warranty and make it less than water proof.

WhiteHerring
Visitor

I have got the same annoying problem since a couple of month and was hoping that the latest KitKat upgrade would reset and fix the tablet! But it didn't...

And indeed it is the loose contact of the Power Button/Headset connecter element (see previous replies!!).

I did not check this by opening the back of the tablet but by pressing pretty firmly but carefully next to the Power Button.

Now my Power Button works at least again!

I have to further press carefully next to the Headset connecter to see if I can make the headset work again as well. I have not yet succeeded.

For long I had no sound at all until this morning I switched on the 'FM Radio' (a standard supplied app) and noticed in the Left Upper corner a Headset icon. This means the tablet thinks a headset is connected. However in the settings (find it upper right corner) it can be manually changed into 'Play in speaker'. And finally I got sound back again through the speakers also in other apps. However this is a nice solution thru the FM Radio app, but this should not be!

Pressing the screen close to the powerbutton to press elements back in the motherboard is a better solution without loosing your guarantee. However I advice to press carefully using fingers on both sides. One on the front and at the same time the other finger at the same corresponding spot in the back!

Sony Consumer customer service here in the UK is horrible. I have been in contact with them many times without getting a proper solution. Mostly I get advice to call another desk or part of the whole Customer Support circus but people at the other office have no clue either except to give another phone number to call etc...

Sony, how can you believe people are going to buy your stuff when there is actually NO Customer Service that works?

Regards to all who suffer from this silly problem!

snyfan
Visitor

This just happened to me for the second time.  Power button doesn't work after inserting jack... no sound from jack or speakers.  I figured this might be the problem since they are located so close together and I noticed on the Z2 the audio jack is located on one of the other sides of the tablet..no longer by the power button.  They fixed it last time after i sent it in, however, for some reason the paperwork said nothing was repaired..b.s. All I can do is call them and ask to send it back, but I don't know if I should request a new one or refund or pay for z2 upgrade and hope for the best.  I'm also not going to try to fix it myself.. very disappointed.  This is my first of many Sony devices to ever have a problem. 

Stackpointer
Visitor

Hey guys,

Just a quick update, my tablet went to warranty fix, and it came back working, so my next steop was to buy some Bluetooth headphones, and problem solved, nothing will ever enter in that plug again