Join now - be part of our community!

battery heat issues with latest system update

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

battery heat issues with latest system update

XPERIA PRO-I

Have submitted below to Sony support.  wanted to make others aware to either confirm if they have also updated or avoid if they havent yet.

=======================

installed 61.2.f.0.191 earlier today.

device now immediately heats up in normal (light) use when it never did before so that it is too hot to hold. battey also dropping about 1% every minute or so.

i have the battery care set to always and 80% and usually keep the charge between 50-80% so the battery has always been taken care of. this has literally only started immediately after this last system update.

please investigate this URGENTLY - consider pulling the update so others cannot install it, investigate and send out a new version ASAP.

This has made my phone unusable. I do not want to either burn myself or risk battery/phone damage or even fire! I am therefore powering my phone off.

Again, I repeat that this immediately happened only after the system update.

67 REPLIES 67
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @xperiaproiuser  and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Keep us posted as to what Sony say.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

Hi @jumpsuit 

Thanks for your welcome and reply.

Unfortunately they just sent me a standard list of things to check/do, with number 4 ironically being:

4- Check if there is an updated version of the system software available

I will go through the motions just to make sure it's not something I can resolve.  If not then I will get back to them and ask for it to be escalated.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again @xperiaproiuser  :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update.

Let us know how you get on after trying their suggestions. 

If you still can't resolve the issue I can also escalate this for you.

Good luck :slight_smile: 

profile.country.NL.title
Rduppen

I have the same problem on my Xperia 5 iii after installing May security update. Some process uses up to 90% CPU, draining the battery and heating up the phone. 

61.2.A.0.439 release-keys

Please Sony, resolve this quickly. 

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

@Rduppen 

Thanks for confirming you've also had the issue - and on a different model as well.

Yes, it was after installing the May security update that it started happening for me too.

I was using the phone, had the update notification, continued using the phone as it updated, rebooted, started using the phone again and was then surprised to feel the phone getting hotter than I've ever known it to.

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

@jumpsuit 

Two separate people (myself and @Rduppen ) have reported the same issue on two different models of phone after applying the latest (May 2023) system update.

I'll reply to my Sony Support case (25568190) informing them of this fact and also refer them to this thread.

I would hope this would be enough for Sony to start taking this seriously!

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

@jumpsuit 

Below is my reply to Sony Support (support case 25568190 ).

If you could also help to make this a priority it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

===============================================================

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

My IMEI number is [REDACTED FOR WEB POSTING]

Regarding your list of suggestions,

This happens from cold start even without opening any apps

I have tried safe mode and the same thing is happening

I am running the latest system software - it was upgrading to it that caused the problem!

Another user has reported exactly the same thing after installing the May 2023 security update, see the thread I started on Sony Community:
https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/x-series/battery-heat-issues-with-latest-system-update/m-p/3913837/

I am only using a Sony-branded charger

How often does the issue happen? - whenever the phone is switched on, even in safe mode
Does it happen using certain apps - no, it happens all the time, even in safe mode

Could I kindly please ask Sony to escalate and investigate this URGENTLY, as there appears to be an issue with the May 2023 system update that is happening on at least two different models of your phones.

Thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

@Rduppen 

Out of interest, how are you finding out the cpu usage?

Does it tell you what processes/app are using the cpu?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
xperiaproiuser

Screenshot_20230530-191611~2.png