Join now - be part of our community!

How to turn off Amber or Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA)

ieubts
Visitor

How to turn off Amber or Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA)

My X Compact is running stock Android 8.0.  There is no setting to turn these alerts off in either mobile networks, messaging or emergency alerts app (at least that I can find).

18 REPLIES 18
rw1255
Visitor

What is ADB? I tried using Easy Uninstaller, but it was unsuccessful.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

With adb you can more or less uninstall system apps.

They won't be uninstalled but sort of disappear.

For howtos read xda developpers and search for adb.

However, if you don't feel safe with it then just don't use it.

As for WEA alert: I don't see any reason to uninstall or disable it.

rw1255
Visitor

There's a great reason to disable or uninstall it: it goes off with a loud noise sometimes several times in a day. I don't want to hear it, especially in the middle of the night.

rw1255
Visitor

I found the comment below in a thread about this problem in the Z3. I'll try it and see if I get any more of these. Tonight should be a good test. I've gotten four alerts today.

"I looked in the app permissions and the only one it has is SMS permissions. I'll try turning that off and seeing what happens. Thanks for that suggestion!

"*Edit*

"Taking away the app's SMS permission seems to have worked. Though I have a notification about it being disabled that I can't dismiss now. It's kind of annoying but not as much as getting those alerts about system tests when I'm trying to sleep."

/t5/Xperia-Z3/How-to-disable-emergency-alerts/td-p/1175120#gref

profile.country.GB.title
odfj85
Explorer

I support domestic violence victims in supported accommodation

Our UK government have provided info for domestic violence victims on how to disable these wireless emergency alerts on ios and android, because many dv victims are completely reliant on secret phones  which abusers could be alerted to if they suddenly start making noise.

I have found that its not possible to find the wireless emergency alerts settings on one of my clients phones and we urgently need a solution!

the closest setting we can find in settings, is if we search for 'emergency'...

we are given the option of wireless emergency alerts

when we select wireless emergency alerts, we are faced with the messaging apps' advanced settings

our only options in there are 'group messaging, auto download MMS,auto download MMS when roaming, use simple characters, Get SMS delivery reports, Show iphone reactions as emoji, SIM card messages, Phone Number, Custom SMSC'

there are no other options and we cannot find the emergency broadcast/wireless emergency alerts settings anywhere else

The phone is a SONY xperia xz1 compact (G8841)- running android 9 build 47.2.A.11.228

The phone cannot be updated further.

Please don't just say the phone is too old, because it is unreasonable to expect a victim of domestic violence to be able to afford a new phone, and to keep updating their hardware.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @odfj85 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

The Government really haven't put enough thought into this for vulnerable people.

It also troubles me that you cannot use your phone again until you have acknowledged the alert.

My wife has Android 12 on her Xperia and to turn them off you go to:

Settings - Notifications - Emergency Alerts, then toggle Allow alerts to off.  

However I do believe you could turn off alerts in Android 9 but I can't find anything about the new UK alert.

Have a look at This link about Android 9 (known as Pie) for instructions although it does say it depends what phone you have.

According to the UK news today you can turn your phone off to prevent the alert. What they haven't made clear though is if the alert will sound as soon as you turn your phone on again or not.

I fully sympathise with your concerns.

profile.country.GB.title
odfj85
Explorer

I've written to my MP about this, to encourage government liaison with tech companies when implementing solutions would can endanger lives,simply because not every phone (in this case) has the same option to disable these alerts 

Since I started looking into this for my client, I've seen both android and ios phones lacking the option to disable these alerts, so that puts every single smart owner at risk if they have secret phones as their lifeline.

Shocking really. I'll get back to you when my mp responds

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @odfj85, thanks for the heads up! Which Xperia model or Android version are you referring to?

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

@Piscie They stated it in their post 😉

"The phone is a SONY xperia xz1 compact (G8841)- running android 9 build 47.2.A.11.228

The phone cannot be updated further."