Join now - be part of our community!

Sal 70-200 Lens Picture Quality

profile.country.GB.title
Beauchiefs8

Sal 70-200 Lens Picture Quality

Kestrel at Lodge Moor 23Jan2017Crop.JPGI am not getting definition and picture quality I expected from Sony SAL 70-200. Example attached taken 1/640   f5  100 iso  On Ilce 6000

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.DE.title
MHFoto
Enthusiast

Hi,

excuese me, but the picture quality of the Sony FE 70-200mm F/4 is much better as the quality and sharpness of your image. Your image dont really show the possibilitys of the excellent lens.

Greetings

profile.country.GB.title
Beauchiefs8

I KNOW THAT IS WHY I POST, I WANT TO KNOW WHY QUALITY IS NOT BETTER.

profile.country.DE.title
MHFoto
Enthusiast

The FE 70-200mm F/4 lens is razor-scharp on f/4. I can not tell you why your picture isnt perfect sharp. Maybe sou should improve your photographic skills a bit. There are a lot possibilitys to get an unsharp picture. For bird photography you should use a tripod with a gimble. Your camera and the lens should be as stable es it is possible. You should optimize the af settings of your cam. And the exposure time should be as short as it can. Set a bit higher ISO levels to shorten the exposure time. Depend from your camera (fullframe or crop) it is possible to use ISO 400-800 wihout noise. Your A6000 has a crop-sensor. It means that your effective focal length on 200mm 200x1,6 (crop-faktor) conforms to 320mm lens at a full-frame camera. It is not easy to shoot freehand free a sharp image at this focal length. And sorry for my language skills, i am not a native speaker.  

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=photographing+birds

profile.country.GB.title
Beauchiefs8

Camera was set at 1/640 , F5,  iSO100      Hand Held              L:24M image size aspect ratio 3.2,  Fine quality record F440x1080  12M,  continous shoot mode, continous auto focus,  centre metering. This attached photo is full size, the first one was croppedDSC04760.JPG

profile.country.DE.title
MHFoto
Enthusiast

Camera was set at 1/640

The exposure time was ok. Shorter is better.

F5

With that lens you can use F/4. It is razor-sharp.

ISO100

With ISO 200 or 400 you get faster shutter-speed. it is absolutely necessary if you shoot freehand free.

Hand Held

Tripod and a Gimble ar the better solution to photograph birds.

L:24M image size aspect ratio 3.2, Fine quality record F440x1080 12M,

Why??? Use the full and best possible resolution of your camera.

continous shoot mode, continous auto focus, centre metering.

For Birds in flight the settings are ok. But If they are sitting it is better to use single shutter mode and AF-S.

This attached photo is full size, the first one was cropped.

As i said, use the full possible resolution on your cam and crop the images on your pc.

And you are a bit far away from the bird. Nature-Photograper using 400mm, 500mm and 600mm lenses to get closer. But it is really expensive and heavy. To get closer to the birds use camouflage suits or tents.

Greetings

profile.country.GB.title
Beauchiefs8

What is the best setting for highest reolution?

profile.country.GB.title
Beauchiefs8

I thought I had camera set for best resolution, how do you use crop sensor on camera?

Many thanks   Ian

profile.country.DE.title
MHFoto
Enthusiast

The highest Resolution of your Cam are 24,3 Mpix (6000 x 4000px). And the sensor of your camera is allready cropped. It means the sensor in your camera is 1,6x smaller than a fullframe-sensor.

Greetings

profile.country.DE.title
MHFoto
Enthusiast

"I thought I had camera set for best resolution"

use the 24mpix mode and maximum L: 6000x4000px quality.