Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
hextablephil
Explorer

It does seem as though Sony have just tried to forget about us. If there's
no fix soon I think a class action against Sony should be started.
I knew I should of purchased a Samsung 4k instead
hughzy9mm
Explorer

Biggest mistake i ever made was going for a Sony over my trusted brand
Samsung. Everytime i phone Sony up to say my tv is not working they say it
seems i am trying to get a brand new television.
hughzy9mm
Explorer

Sony simply put do not care about their customers. Once you have paid your money you are on your own. The 5 year warrenty you get is worthless! 

I have never owned an electronic device so full of bugs and issues, and what is more frustrating is my model was meant to be their top of the range at the time.

If you try to complain you get put into a loop on the phone line until you have enough and hang up and if you do get through to someone all they say is "sony do not wish to comment on that" 

Thejak80

They have indeed forgotten about us pal, classic fingers in the ears if we can't hear them then there's no problem, Sony's eyes they've for filled their side of the bargain HD Recording, PIP, a bunch of YouView crap and that's it done, their guy at CES should have added the 2015 sets will get marshmallow.... if we can be bothered to work on the software and optimise it

I sound like a fanboy but Apple even Microsoft give direction on where these updates are going and acknowledge issues but the difference is how fast they get rectified no good Sony releasing a PS4K if their sets are not up to the standard 

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@Thejak80

Maybe Wi-Fi (J20H084 801658) will never be fixed because it may be a hardware issue. (depends on HON HAI CO.)

Intel AC-3160's that have not been fixed since 2013.

Same design, dual band, plus Bluetooth in very early "baby" state.

Bluetooth same frequency for 2.4GHz, same shared antenna, too much interference from everything around.

The actual output is at least 20% lower due to the environmental signal interference and the Bluetooth shared throughput.

Here is an example:

https://www.msi.com/pic/faq/10015790@2014-1114-0153-309200@faq_0000000001178_en.pdf

at page 5:

"Furthermore, if there is no Bluetooth devices need to connect with, then it’s recommended to turn OFF the Bluetooth function in SCM control panel. The wireless and bluetooth combo card share the same bandwidth and the antenna, so by turning off the bluetooth function can let the wireless connection has the entire usage of bandwidth and the antenna. if choosing 2.4GHz band, then turnning off the Bluetooth can also decrease the signal interference since Bluetooth devices use the same band."

Unfortunately we do not have the option to "semi-hard" disable Bluetooth because we are on Android.

A free, good but useless in hardware settings, O.S.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I know that it feels like that Sony appears to have forgotten about you and these issues you may be experiencing - possibly because of the time between FW updates.  Please let me state that this is not the case.  Another update is in the making - but it is not known when exactly.

@frogger38 - i also experience the freezing remote for 30 seconds - its really annoying, so i do understand!

Cheers

Thejak80

@Anonymous but why should it always be you who suffers the wrath and frustration of all these customer's it's seriously appalling that no one from Sony dare stand up answer questions and take the flack for why these sets have such poorly implemented software and services, if the drivers for WiFi are so poor along with the hardware they need sorting, one person was waiting a 4K ultra library and another person's in a boot loop people are getting frustrated not getting the answers or hope that they seek 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Thejak80

There are days like today that I feel that these forums are a true community and to me it feels worth it.  And I thank you for not shooting the messanger too :drink:  I also thank you for your kind words as well.

But to tell you the truth, there has been a time that I gave up on this thread completely, as to me i felt that it was so toxic - it was actually bad for me.  You can see my post burried somewhere in this thread.  And there are still times that I avoid this thread.  However this is not fair to you guys in my opinion.  

As time has gone on, certain people have left and i feel i have grown a liitle as an individual to try and know the difference between an attack on Sony is not an attack against me - even though frustrations get high at times.  

At the end of the day, I choose to volunteer my time on these forums (like the other experts and community members).  Simply because i honestly do want to try and help.  I dont actually have much to do these days (im between jobs at the moment) and have an active interest in technology and gadgets.  

We (experts) do have the ear of some Sony staff to voice our and your concerns to them, and in turn they are very supportive too.  But like many large global corporations, it takes time for issues to be fed up the chain, investigated, find a fix, test and then roll out a fix.  

Speaking for myself, if i believe a complaint or issue is warrented - ill back yourside of the court as best as i can. 

Take care :handshake:

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I'm not surprised you give up on this thread due to the idiotic over the top toxic posts. Anyway thanks for sticking with it. 

I have quite an unusual issue and I can't find a single mention of this issue on any Google search. When using the hdd record function-and I've tried the recommended wd drive,a Seagate drive, and two usb stick- all recordings from either freeview or freesat are a bit juddery. People other than myself notice it straight away. I find it hard to believe that no one else has  experienced this and it's possible most people just aren't bothered by it. 

I suspect that the processor on the tv just isn't quite good enough to reproduce an hd show exactly as it appears on the actual broadcast. But then again the tv will take a very high bit rate 4k recording from a usb stick and play it perfectly. So I'm a bit lost. If I move the smoothing setting from low to medium it mostly gets rid of the sticky judder but then when I switch back to live tv it looks weird so i I have to move it back to low smoothing every time. 

Has anyone else experienced any judder on t.v recordings or have any suggestions as to what's causing this?

Thanks very much. 

Sputniklaptop
Explorer

Hi

I am from Denmark and have suddently gotten a new problem. The sound on all my Swedish channels suddently disappear, the British, Danish and German are still there. If I then make a full restart of the tv, the sound returns and work for a while. Does anyone have an opinion on why this happens? It is only with this tv, not my old Sony in the bedroom.

i have a Sony Bravia kd 55x8505c

Update: now my Danish Channel tv 1,2 and 3 are gone and again only on this tv??? I have all the updates, leave it on for 15 min after an update, tried to reboot not helping.

anyone??? All is working on my old Sony, my cables are all protected from interference.