Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
alanxce

I have the KD-55X8509C and it is performing to spec. It is a very good tv with a superb picture.

I am a happy customer and I don't work for Sony. 

UKPiglet

I've been following this thread with great interest. If you go back rather a lot of pages you will see that I had all kinds of problems in similar to other people who came here looking for help from Sony. Along with others I successfully returned my kd55x9305 as not fit for purposes to John Lewis.

I've been following the thread to see whether the issues got resolved and whether it was worth looking again at a Sony TV.

From what I've seen there seem to has been little or nothing to improve the quality of these TVs and people are getting frustrated.

Sure, there are people who are happy with what they have. Be happy for them. It may be that they have advice on how to get the sound on these TVs in sync with the picture, stop them from becoming unresponsive to the remote, or stop them fron turning themsolves on in the middle of the night etc etc then welcome that.

Anyway, for me getting rid of the TV was a great relief.  The picture was great. Everything else about it was awful.

Kenneth_J

This thread is for people who have trouble with their tv, not for those who love their flawless Sony tv... maybe you should make your own thread and talk about how well your tv works 😑
Freaking tired of listening to those claiming their tv is working perfectly, most likely because they accept it being laggy and only use few of the tv's features... 🤔
profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

@Kenneth_J I didn't know you are the Forum moderator. I post where and when and will keep posting that for me it's the best TV I have owned.

adyjay33

Come on then... fix my TV all you good (Knowlegable) people on here...

My TV takes ages to start, sometimes 5 minutes, even after pressing it to come on it just sits there doing noting unless I press it again.

The sound countiues for some 10 seconds when I apparently switch it off, I have come back to find it  has come back on too, a fire hazard if anything goes wrong and I am out of the house!

The remote stops working, starts again after 40 seconds.

The bluetooth has a mind of its own turning itself on and off when it likes.

Press to change the TV channel and you get multiple numbers come up and you spend ages trying to change to the correct channel.

The sound is out of sync.

The screen has lightbleed.

It creaks when its on until you shake the TV.

Trying to get the AV list up is a nightmare, sometimes when it comes up it disappears before I have had a chance to scroll through it.

The internet connection through the LAN drops out, heard it does it through the wireless too but as my LAN is quicker I dont use it.

I have factory reset it so many times as the "Experts" say tl do, its a good job you dont have to factory reset a car each time, god forbid the car company telling people "Just factory reset it" why should we have too?

In all after spending 1k on it I am extremely dissapointed and to come on here to vent how I feel and to be attacked is a joke.

I have not posted in a while before I only put one thing that was the truth about these TV sets, they are not good at all in my opinion yet I am talked to like I am not allowed to have a view.

Sorry but its all wrong and this forum is all wrong.

If Sony cared then we would have had these issues sorted ages ago... they just dont care and I wont buy another Sony branded product for as long as I live.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

@adyjay33 The only thing on your list that I have is the TV takes a few seconds to switch off, I have just timed it at five seconds before the sound dies and then stays off, never has it switch it's self on.

adyjay33

So does that mean my TV is normal or that these faults do not exist on any other Sony Android TV that has been sold in 2015 and possibly 2016?

Just because your TV does not have a fault like mine and probably many others, does not mean I cannot express a view about it does it?

Thats what I am talking about... it seems as if when others may not have a problem, then according to them it does not exist for others that do, thus its wrong to say it does, so thats how this forum works is it, supress the truth others are encountering with posts that incite conflict?

NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

No just telling it as it is. You have problems that I and other don't have it doesn't mean we don't believe you but it's hard to understand why you have them.

adyjay33

And I am telling you how I am having issues with my Sony TV and thats what I am on here, probably you are too as if your TV was perfect you would not be here?

You dont have to understand why I am having the issues as the plain facts to me is I am having them and thats more important to me than to know your TV is perfect with no ther issues I am encountering.

Are you technically competant to figure out what is wrong with my Sony TV?

Have you designed the TV or the Android system or Sony UI its runs on?

I very much doubt you have either unless of course you do work for Sony, but them again its easy to say you dont and that others on here also dont, however we only have your word on that dont we?

So tell me how to fix my TV?

Please dont say a factory reset as thats been done to death.

So am I here for fun or to find a solution, or am I also here to warn others that IMHO theses TV are not very good and again IMHO not fit to be sold if the issues I am having continue.

I wont buy a car if it wont start on a regular basis and the brakes keep failing due to its poor design, so why should I buy a TV that is supposed to be good and its not due to the poor design and implemenation of the operating system that runs it.

Sadly not everyone checks before they buy when the go into a shop, I admit I did not check fully but as it was a new type of TV the problems were not fully understood so was not on the internet as much as it is now.

Is that my problem or Sony's for selling a poor excuse of a TV?

NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

I am on here because ITV hub didn't work from Sandy transmiter and after the 12th April it now does. Small problem that got resolved.