Join now - be part of our community!

2D to 3D conversion

SOLVED

2D to 3D conversion

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a new TV without breaking the bank. I've been looking at the Sony Bravia KDL43W809CBU. It's got 3D capabilities, but what I'm trying to find out is if it has the functionality to internally convert 2D signals to 3D images. I'm not expert in 3D TVs but have web searched and seen some TVs can apparently do it. I've seen a sister model (the KDL43W805CBU, which is identical as far as I see except for the motion rate) advertised on a third party website as being able to do 2D to 3D conversion, but to be honest I don't believe it. I've emailed Sony directly, but the support staff are really poor.

if anyone knows and can let me know, your help is much appreciated.

If it can do it, is it any good?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

A while ago i had the KDL-43W805C for about 6 months.  I cannot recall this ever having the ability to convert 2D images to 3D which Sony call 'Simulated 3D'.  I believe this was discussed on these forums too, but cannot find the thread.  

Anyway, I have looked at the detailed specs of the TVs you mention and can confirm that this feature is not available.

On a side note: 3D Tvs in the home are all but dead now.  See this interesting article HERE

Cheers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

A while ago i had the KDL-43W805C for about 6 months.  I cannot recall this ever having the ability to convert 2D images to 3D which Sony call 'Simulated 3D'.  I believe this was discussed on these forums too, but cannot find the thread.  

Anyway, I have looked at the detailed specs of the TVs you mention and can confirm that this feature is not available.

On a side note: 3D Tvs in the home are all but dead now.  See this interesting article HERE

Cheers

Thanks for reply Quinnicus, nice to get a proper response while the Sony staff look the other way,

Appreciate 3D tv is going downhill, which was why I was wondering about the conversion, as most 3D stations / programs have been shut down.

However, I had a good look at similarly priced TVs and thought the ultra HDs looked a bit washed out by comparison, increased detail yes, but max luminosity lacking by comparison (I asked store staff to put them to max and watched the guy do it). I guess that with it being designed for 3D glasses it needs a better max brightness. But while doing a simple screen by screen comparison it seems to me that UHD TVs do in general seem to lack a bit of brightness.

Unfortunately the max luminosity isn't usually reported so I've found it best to go in store and hope they're near each other. HDR appear to have less of an issue, but have the higher price tag. Given the size of the TV and distance sat from it, the UHD v HD resolution difference wouldn't be particularly noticeable, whereas brightness would be more so, so that's what drew me to this model initially, but the lack of the 3D conversion (contrary to some sites which advertise it being included) is a bit of a downer.

Grateful to have a clear answer to my question though.

Cheers