Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KD43X8309 and XT1 sound start time issue

TrevorCStevens
Explorer

Bravia KD43X8309 and XT1 sound start time issue

Like many other Android TV owners I have experienced issues and frustrations with the new TV since my purchase. However for me the most annoying that I experience concerns the sound startup time on my attached XT1 sound system that I purchased at the same time as the TV.

I have a KD43X8309 TV connected with a hi speed HDMI cable to the XT system via the HDMI (ARC) connection. Connected to the TV are a Sky+ box, BT TV box and a Panasonic DVD/recorder all with hi speed HDMI cables. When powering on the TV the picture comes on almost immediately, however there is a 25 second delay before the sound starts on the XT1. All other controls work OK from the TV remote (sound adjustment, XT function changes etc).

The problem is no different if connecting the devices directly to the XT1.

My tests have shown that if I have no devices attached to the TV or XT1 the sound starts within few seconds. Attaching each device one at a time sees the sound startup time progressively increase to the 25 seconds.

If I manually turn on the XT1 after the TV is switched on the sound starts immediately. I can circumvent the problem by no powering off the XT1 automatically with the TV and leaving it on all the time, but I understand this should not be necessary.

The retailer concerned has replaced the TV and sound system with no change to to the issue. They are now bamboozled! Both the reailer and I have raised the issue with Sony with no response at this time. Biger fish to fry I suspect! Searches on this site and the internet have also not revealed any mention of this issue.

Has anyone else out there experienced the problem or have any suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8
TrevorCStevens
Explorer

Just to add there is no issue with the sound start up time if using the internal TV speakers

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sorry but I don't really understand the issue... Modern TVs takes time to fully boot, and the TV itself needs additional time to check that a HT is connected and switch it on and set the audio to pass through it (those step are not needed using the internal speacker so you get the audio together with the video from them). 20 secs seems normal to me (it takes more or less the same with my KDL43W805C and was almost the same with a KDL42W805A connected to a HTCT350).

BTW the best configuration is with the devices connected to the HT not the TV, bypassing the internal audio decoding of the TV

TrevorCStevens
Explorer

Thank you for your  interesting information Rooob.

I have not owned a TV sound system before but to me 25 seconds seems excessive time to wait for sound with modern technology. Also would note that both the retailer and the Sony support representative that spoke to me about the issue considered it to be longer than they would think is reasonable to expect.

The key point that no one has yet been able explain to me is why, with no devices attached, sound starts from the XT1 within 3 seconds (perfectly acceptable) but increase by about 10 seconds per device when they are connected during my tests. It would suggest that with the capability of connecting 6 six devices to the two pieces of kit I could be looking at upto a minute delay which would seem to me a crazy time to wait.

Out of interest, how many devices do you attach and does your setup show similar characteristics (ie. 3 seconds to sound on with just the TV connected to the sound system)? 

Take your point re connecting via the XT1. However my hearing could not perceive any difference in quality however it was attached. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi my setup has a bdps5100 and an hdd recorder hxd870 hooked up to a htct350.
Never tried to see the effect of unplugging something but it was the same with the previous w805a.
Regarding the difference should be evident only when playing 5. 1 source many tv (not sure about this ) are not capable to pass it through to the ht untouched.
profile.country.GB.title
timealan
Explorer

I have a KDL32w705B, connected via ARC to an HT-XT1 with inputs into the HT-XT1 are BluRay, Virgin Box+.

When I switch on the TV the HT-XT1 will spring into life and sound immediately comes on (via the XT1). However as the TV goes through it's start up process, the sound stops and there is no response from the XT1 (or TV) until the startup is finished, whereupon the sound comes through OK. (*see note below)

The startup on the TV is annoying and means it take maybe 20secs for everything to come on and be usable, but not life changing.

(*I do get intermittent problems with the TV not detecting the XT1 on start up and dropping back to TV Speakers, I then need to manually switch on the XT1 - I've put this down to loose cables!)

I have the same start up issue it takes 30 seconds for the sound to start coming through the HT even if I turn on the sound bar first. It drives me mad

can anybody help pleasen

stroud02
New

I have also bought a Sony  Model KD438309 and having trouble with no sound from the headphone socket for wireless and wired connection to headphones. I had Currys change the set as I thought it to be faulty, but the new one is just as bad.  The people they use to set up the TV appear to have little time or training in the complex arrangement of all sections the TV offers. Once they have a working picture with sound on all channels for them the set up is complete.The TV is connected to a Talktalk Freeview box and a Panasonic DVD player, but no sound is emitted via the headphone socket regardless of the different arrangements in the Sound menu for headphone use..As an 84 yr old with hearing problems and a wife with 20/20 hearing, headphone use is essential otherwise I have to rely on subtitles.  Is there a fault with the set, if so can it be changed again for a different make, or is there some way of obtaing a connection with the headphone socket that works for my wired headphone? The transmitter for my wireless connection is through a Scart plug in the back of the Freeview box, but I do not know if this arrangement is correct.  Help would be graefully received.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@stroud02 maybe I misunderstood something: if your wireless trasmitter is connected to the freeview box why you claim it is not working due to the TV? (BTW the connection is correct since the TV will not output anything from the scart apart what is seen from its internal tuner)

Regarding the wired headphone instead they should be working as soon as you connect it to the jack  (muting the speaker by default, that you can anyway control separately) unless you connect the TV to an external Home Teather (that is not your case I think).... are you sure they are working? have you had the chance to verify it with another device?