Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@Quinnicus wrote:

@newbix wrote:
They already changed the main board a few weeks back after I installed the failed update.
My TV has been callibrated and I know the sony repair people by me, can't do calibration. So gos knows what surpport will come up with.

Oh.....  No wonder why your ***** 😞

I have no idea either.

Yep I am. But lets see what happens.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Okay... Folks just a brief one from me regarding the '' best resolution & best framerate '' debate iv called up and spoken to Sony UK tech this afternoon and they are going to speak to their engineers to obtain better clarification on this matter which would be great to add to the on going subject in this thread.

So I'll be back with some info over the next few days...

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone
profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

Bought my KD49X8305 in 2015 and from the start is was problematic, nowhere near as bad as some others here but you could tell that it was pretty unstable when using the smart features of the TV as opposed to watching mainly sky which I know makes it a glorified monitor.

Over the months it has improved considerably so I switched off auto updates and monitored others reports regarding Marshmallow.

A couple of days ago I took the plunge and no I dont see improved picture quality as some here have reported but I do see a pretty stable operating system at last.

My wife is happy as she can watch all of her programs on sky while when I get hold of it I have been trying hard to find problems using the stand alone TV.

So far very good, have sideloaded a few apps via USB including Dolphin browser & Aptoide TV (recommend this).

Time will tell of course but up to now no lock ups, slow downs or re-boots, I dont want to tempt providence but it could be that I've finally got the TV I hoped to get when I bought it.

Interestingly most if not all of my settings remained the same after the upgrade.

MrBombastic21
Explorer

@Garymjh wrote:

@MrBombastic21 wrote:

Ι'm updating my KD-X8005C as I'm writing this post. Last time I didn't make it and Sony removed the update.

Any known issues or bugs with this update I should check my TV for?

The last couple of pages were interesting but a bit off-topic and I didn't find anything.

Sorry if there is a list or something I missed.

I've got the same model and the only issue I had was Netflix not loading streams properly which was solved by the newer update. 

Didn't have much time to check my TV after the update.

Netflix seems to work as good as before.

Menu navigation seems a bit faster (or it's a placebo effect).

I didn't see many changes, is there a changelog available?

I'll get back when I find more time to check everything, but what bothers me is the change of color in the Home background. It's attrocious. Is there any way to change it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MrBombastic21

I dont think you can change the colour or background of the homescreen - but then how often or how long do you actually look at it? 

Change-log:

This firmware update introduces Android Marshmallow to Sony's Android TV

• The following issues are resolved by this firmware:
    • Continuous reboot after installing firmware version 3.843
    • Voice search button not functioning after installing firmware version 3.843
    • All frequencies are output from the SWF-BR100 Wireless Subwoofer
    • Incorrect USB video aspect ratio display for 21:9 content
    • Slow TV response rate with Astra signal
    • Judder issue with HDMI Ultra-High-Definition (UHD) signal after deep standby
    • Recording issue with Stofa Neotion Dual CAM
    • Electronic program guide (EPG) when viewing sales or advertising (Barker) channel with video and audio enabled
    • Voice command issues
    • Channel list issue when importing new lists
    • Network connection failure (WLAN/LAN)
    • Danish mistranslations
    • Danish DR issue - playback stops when closing dialog box
    • When turning off the TV via the remote, audio remains on for 2-3 seconds after the screen turns off
    • EPG information not available on Spanish TVE
    • Slow response time on satellite channel setting screens
    • Abnormal “Pop” noise when changing the channel
    • TV doesn’t turn on after performing a factory data reset
    • Black picture when CI+ CAM is inserted
    • No picture / audio on FunBox 4K UHD satellite channel
    • Blinking light appears when opening the guide
    • YouTube cast issue when language is set to Hebrew
    • HDMI Dynamic Range malfunction
    • Issue with 'Auto picture' mode
    • Football mode functionality issue after performing a power cycle
profile.country.GB.title
Cyberlife
Explorer

hi

my tv is 43w805c

Quality and color of the image after upgrade to version 3.865 is Too bad and is not crystal clear as before

Is this a problem with the settings?

Mertsi1340
Explorer

This latest "improved" update (3.865) is a disaster.

It is laggy, slow and freezes often. For a couple of days now it does not just switch itself on, it reboots when I put the TV on.

If I press a few buttons on the remote in quick succession it will freeze and sometimes reboot.

I probably don't need to mention the stupidity of the "favoutites" in the guide. How hard could it be to get this feature to work like in any other TV set on this planet?

VERY DIASAPPOINTED IN THE WAY SONY MANAGED THIS SOFTWARE UPGRADE.

profile.country.DK.title
refrejn

I actually have kind of like the same experience. I upgraded my 50W807C with the first marsmellow upgrade, with a USB stick, and it has worked really well for me. Lip sync issues were gone most of the time and it just worked as it should.

Last night we saw an episode of Homeland season 6 and I noticed a very visible change in backlight when the scenes changed from a bright to a darker scene. This was because of the contrast enhancer that was set to medium and when I disabled it then the problem went away. I had this problem when we got the TV, but I had dialed the setting down and ever since the first marsmellow update I'm pretty sure that I never saw it behave like this.

Our TV got the latest marsmellow update (3.865) a couple of days ago OTA and I just installed it, expecting it to be nearly identical to the already installed version, but now I'm afraid that it has issues?

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Guys!! Simple thing have any of you done a factory hard reset on your TVs??

Before posting with your issues you will be quite surprised just how many issues are solved this way Sony tech will say that same thing to you.

I'm not saying it will kill 100% of the issues but it may kill most...

Try it. And good luck

Their is nothing wrong with the update 3.85 work perfectly for me.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone
profile.country.GB.title
Tarpii

Yes, following my factory reset / upgrade to Mrshmallow I forgot to turn on
off the Adv Contrast Enhancer. I don't know how anyone can recommend this
feature, it's really off-putting for me. It's very noticeable when a camera
cut changes to a light / darker scene, and the contrast changes a few
milliseconds later, really annoying.