Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Okay folks iv also taken the plunge.. And just selected 'no more than 4 processes ''.

This will be the second item I have changed in developers option.

HDMI optimisation Under general - Changed to best framerate and that for me made a substantial difference instead of best resolution.

And now this option.. Let's see what happends over the next few hours and days if the TV does not like it I'll change it back to standard.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone
profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

@Shodney wrote:

Since we're all messing around in the developer settings, may as well try this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/69q9fe/performance_tip_limit_background_processes/

I've been running like this for a week or so and, early days, but I haven't had an "[APP] has stopped working" popup since. I used to get one or two of these a day - whether it's coincidence or not that these have stopped I don't know.

Can't say I've noticed any general speed improvements otherwise though like others are saying. Still has laggy animations, stuttering and such.

Actually it has speeded things up for me in general. The only odd thing I've noticed is opening Netflix makes the desktop white for a split second and then Netflix opens (quicker than it normally does)

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi okay.. And update from me regarding changing processes option.

Iv set it to no more than 3 processes.

And yep for sure their is a real difference!

Youview is almost instant now. The guide seems to load much faster.

Even Amazon when you log into the app and scroll across between programs much much faster now.

Netflix loads that bit quicker...

Even just general browsing around seems to be much improved and almost jumps to different items now.

Early days.. But pretty impressed it's almost like it has a ''dual core'' CPU.

Let's see what happends over a period of a few days to a week.. But so far not crashed once.

profile.country.RS.title
bbrks011

OK, so after reading all this comments about this infamous update, today I finaly decided to do it.

BTW, my TV is KD-55XD8505, so obviously 2016 European model.

Update done OTA wireless, took about 10 minutes all together. I haven't done a factory reset afterwords.

First impressions:

1. The whole system works significantly faster

2. Picture is deffinitely brighter and sharper (all my picture settings remained the same after the update)

3. HDMI inputs work perfectly and changing the sources works also much faster than before

So far all positive!

Let's see what happens in the next couple of days.......

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Great to here another positive on this thread hopefully that stays the same for you now.

It did for me and it's also great to here that you also saw a change in picture quality I also noticed after I updated back in Februarys update as I was one if the fortune ones where that update worked without to many issues.

Yep picture was brighter and definitely was even sharper.

Iv been also playing around with just a few developer options to even further enhance my experience and so far that's work put just great.

This update 3.85 has been brilliant and TV has been rock solid for weeks now can't fault it.

My TV is KD-43X8307C 2015

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi Guys throught I'll add this link don't go crazy changing everything at once it works with both Mobile and Andriod TV. Just explains it a little better obviously place some caution and use some common sense! Have fun and enjoy the experience! https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/7-reasons-unlock-developer-options-your-android-0164319/
profile.country.RS.title
bbrks011

OK, first bug after the update.....made me laugh, have to admit :slight_smile:

I started Kodi on Beelink GT1 Android TV Box and then after maybe 30 seconds I suddenly got pop up with the message Netflix stopped working and another one with Google play stopped working. Hilarious :slight_smile:

Sony people, wake up, you just don't have a clue what you are doing :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@bbrks011 wrote:

OK, first bug after the update.....made me laugh, have to admit :slight_smile:

I started Kodi on Beelink GT1 Android TV Box and then after maybe 30 seconds I suddenly got pop up with the message Netflix stopped working and another one with Google play stopped working. Hilarious :slight_smile:

Sony people, wake up, you just don't have a clue what you are doing :slight_smile:

I get those and youtube has stopped workin, when I'm not even using it.

I would love to know which idiot is doing the firmware?

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@newbix

sure, YOU are not using it. But go to settings-apps and look at all those (cr)apps that are running after reboot. Basically, everything that is installed starts at boot. Just disable everything that you don't need and that can be disabled.

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@kinggo01 wrote:

@newbix

sure, YOU are not using it. But go to settings-apps and look at all those (cr)apps that are running after reboot. Basically, everything that is installed starts at boot. Just disable everything that you don't need and that can be disabled.

Why would anyone do that?

And reporting bugs is a good thing. It's just that sony devs are very crap with android TVs.

I won't be buying from Sony ever again.