Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Tarpii

Interested in this, which apps are you disabling? Surely some of them are required by the OS? I limiting processes to 4 apps still working well for everybody?

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@newbix wrote:

Why would anyone do that?

because we only have 1,5GB of RAM. And because I don't need or use Amazon video, youtube, google play videos and music..... And all of them are running all the time with bunch of others that can't be disabled (opera browser or even youview which is useless outside of UK).

I'll rather wait for 2s when opening an app that I need and when I need it then have them running all the time and wasting resources of this sluggish and underpowered SoC.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi I have even gone down to limit 3 app process to and it's been rock solid for nearly a week now not a stutter!

I have a KDL 43X8307C 2015 model

As for the rest of the TV apart from a small bug that is my Hardisk keeps vanishing sometimes it's a Toshiba 500GB and its USB 3.0 gonna report that to Sony it's not to big of a deal for me at the moment anyway.

Apart from that TV has just been perfect for several months now can't realy fault anything.

All the issues that I had back with lollipop and that was dreadful have been fixed.

I'm just interested to see how Sony deals in stages with new Andriod TV Nugurt 7 keeping an eye out it won't be tommrow goona take time maybe months or later this year who knows .. But we will see.

So for me Sony has done a good enough job at squashing alot of bugs and making my TV experience great..

All I say is Sony please please learn from this and react much quicker with patch updates or firmware updates..

Big ask I know.. But who knows maybe someone in Japan the Pin has dropped.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone
butcher33
Explorer

same for me and my KDL 50W800c, was at 4 max first but then went to 3 to see how it responds and there were no issues yet. I mainly use youtube and kodi.

everything works just fine, the only thing I really miss in this update is the lack of write permission or I should rather say to be unable to delete files from ext drives.

Can someone please recommend some fine tunning for TV - picture and such?

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@kinggo01 wrote:

@newbix wrote:

Why would anyone do that?

because we only have 1,5GB of RAM. And because I don't need or use Amazon video, youtube, google play videos and music..... And all of them are running all the time with bunch of others that can't be disabled (opera browser or even youview which is useless outside of UK).

I'll rather wait for 2s when opening an app that I need and when I need it then have them running all the time and wasting resources of this sluggish and underpowered SoC.

The point being is you can't fix a rom if they don't know the problems. You maybe be happy with a faulty rom and don't care if things don't work. Some(most) do.

Sony is using a phone rom instead of a dedicated TV rom. I've never heard of anyone wirh a andoid

phone\tv\box turning things off instaed of reporting the buggs.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@newbix

errrr............. what? Bugs has nothing to do with this. If we could root the TV I would uninstall all that just like I did on my tablet.

I didn't mean  that this is solution for your "youtube stopped working", I was just saying that a bunch of crap is running all the time even if the user never started that.

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Well I have reported my issue with the Hardisk vanishing after 3-4 days. The only way to get the TV to see my Toshiba 500GB is formating it again.

I have a Now TV box connected to my TV via HDMI which ''may'' be causing the problems.

Their could be an issue where the TV is sharing like a port sharing issue when the Now TV box kicks in during the day to check for software updates it triggers the TV somehow.

So I am only plugging in my Now TV box in when I Want to watch it and then unplugging the HDMI cable it again after. This is an experiment over the next 3-4 days Sony tech are going to call me back and see of the TV still sees my 500GB USB 3.0 Hardisk.

It's plugged into the dedicated USB 3.0 socket this also happends when using a USB stick as well even in a different USB port.

If the TV still sees the Hardisk they will escalate it further as this is a bug that needs fixing.

We must let Sony know of any problems we find so they crack on with getting bugs issues fixed no matter how long it takes!

Yep they can be slow as hell but we can't just moan on this forum take it to Sony and complain let them know. Nothing will be done via this forum.

Action speaks louder than words I say.. We should all do the same.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Marcd51

USB is just broken: It has nothing to do with HDMI.

I'm one of those who use USB a lot and I think that I experienced all possible issues.

-external disks are not writable- this affects everyone

-external disks get unmounted and then remounted with some random letter in front of the standard name which makes them unvisible to any app with defined path to something on them. This was happening to me 4-5 times per day but at some point it stopped. I don't know how it is now for other people but I was not the only one with this issue.

-disks formatted as internal- they tend to disappear after XY days/hours. They are writable. But when they go missing things gets messy until reboot is performed. Or not if you don't transfer any app data but in that case, what's the point?

BroderSalsa
Explorer

Anyone watching DVB-S via CA-module?

My tv can't show the video/audio feed after a while. Even unencrypted channels are not working. Rebooting the TV will fix it, but that's just sad....

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi, Well I found that odd as well how can HDMI interface cause issues with a USB device?? That's what I said to the guy on the phone at Sony UK tech support.. He said something like possibly both USB and HDMI maybe sharing ports or resources something like that anyway and it could be that my Now TV box when it wakes up to do software checks each day it somehow effects the USB ports. Weird yes but I'm game to try what he says stranger things have happened.. So I will give it till next week and they are me calling back. Are you saying if their is no activity I.e opening apps or downloading apps to the external Hardisk Andriod TV just deactivates the drive by default.??? He did say that if the drive does still appears in a weeks time when he calls back he will escalate this issue to level 2 surport which means engineers look at it and a possibility of a bug fix. Well that's the way I look at it.. And he was telling me. I had to him it's the same thing with USB flash drives and I had also told him their were a number of forum members here that reported the same issues on the community forum. We hope and pray with Sony but I'm not giving up! Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone