Join now - be part of our community!

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

profile.country.HU.title
djmickey83

Android 6 (Marshmallow) on 2015/2016 TV's?

Hello.

During CES I heard a news that Sony will bring Android 6 (Marshmallow) to the 2015 TV lineup.

Link with Video

General News about Marshmallow on Android TV's

These news are from January.

Had anyone heard something new about this?

964 REPLIES 964
profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Okay folks a bit of an update from me. 

I had posted on this forum a week or so ago about external Hardisk or even USB sticks being '' unmounted '' after a day or even 4-5days. And only way to get access is to re-format the Hardisk or USB stick. 

This is while it's formated as '' internal '' storage. 

Also I have had issues with the HDMI ARC control that the TV seems to wake up at random moments and sent a pulse down the line and switches my Denon AV amp on for around 30's or so and then switches back off again this is without the TV actually coming on this happened with most recent update 3.85 and not before. 

So this has been going on for a short while now and I understand that other members of this forum have also had issues with Hardisk and USB sticks being Unmounted. 

So I took it to Sony tech UK surport and amazingly Sony are taking this issue seriously now. In fact they have been on the phone to me on a daily basis with updates as it have been escalated to level 2 now. 

The engineer on the phone could not be 100% but he did acknowledge their is a bug and a ''patch'' will have to be released for this fix iv never had this surport from Sony before so sounds like they have had other reports of this as well now for them to get something sorted. 

I'll keep you guys posted. Im not expecting a fix today or tomorrow but at some point finger crossed. 

We all know how Sony the forever to get things done but maybe.. Maybe finally they will work faster.. 

profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Okay folks a bit of an update from me. I had posted on this forum a week or so ago about external Hardisk or even USB sticks being '' unmounted '' after a day or even 4-5days. And only way to get access is to re-format the Hardisk or USB stick. This is while it's formated as '' internal '' storage. Also I have had issues with the HDMI ARC control that the TV seems to wake up at random moments and sent a pulse down the line and switches my Denon AV amp on for around 30's or so and then switches back off again this is without the TV actually coming on this happened with most recent update 3.85 and not before. So this has been going on for a short while now and I understand that other members of this forum have also had issues with Hardisk and USB sticks being Unmounted. So I took it to Sony tech UK surport and amazingly Sony are taking this issue seriously now. In fact they have been on the phone to me on a daily basis with updates as it have been escalated to level 2 now. The engineer on the phone could not be 100% but he did acknowledge their is a bug and a ''patch'' will have to be released for this fix iv never had this surport from Sony before so sounds like they have had other reports of this as well now for them to get something sorted. I'll keep you guys posted. Im not expecting a fix today or tomorrow but at some point finger crossed. We all know how Sony the forever to get things done but maybe.. Maybe finally they will work faster..
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Marcd51 wrote:
Okay folks a bit of an update from me. I had posted on this forum a week or so ago about external Hardisk or even USB sticks being '' unmounted '' after a day or even 4-5days. And only way to get access is to re-format the Hardisk or USB stick. This is while it's formated as '' internal '' storage.

Hmmmm........ for me, reboot was alway enough to get the disk back.
profile.country.GB.title
Marcd51
Contributor

Hi Nope a soft reboot does nothing! Unfortunately for me anyway.

However strangely when you unplug the TV leave it for a short while and then plug it back in TV reboots and bang Hardisk is back again.

It's not a solution at all and Sony are aware it's its not. Also HDMI ARC control kicking in randomly making my Denon AV amp come in and off at odd times.

It's not to do with automatic updates as that only works when the TV is actually switched on Sony have informed me.

So at some point when their is external Hardisk activity possibly it's sending a wake up call to the ports of the TV possibly thus triggering HDMI ARC function...

We shall see.. So for now I just unplug and plug in the TV when I need to its not such a big deal for now until a fix is sorted.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z5 Smartphone
profile.country.GB.title
Kevin8098

Re the unmounting of the external drives i've managed to solve this partly by sideloading an app called sd fix tool, this app has the option of running a service to monitor the device and keep it mounted. It does still occasionally un-mount but i suspect this is when android closes the background service when low on resources maybe.

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

I've had 2 calls from sony support today. Both as thick as **** and a waste of time.

Both said the same thing "I will escalate this to a higher level" in other words "tough luck"

But I'm glad I record the phones calls  :wink:

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You won't hear from them anymore. Old game...

contacting Sony support is a waste of time.

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

You won't hear from them anymore. Old game...

contacting Sony support is a waste of time.

I will keep calling them and recording the calls.

This will help me in claims court in the UK. We had a new law in 2015 that lets people sue a company.

The same thing as the yanks have.

pullingmyhairout
Explorer

Hi I have a 49" Sony Android TV I bought from John Lewis last March ( I forget model number). It's generally been fine since, until it prompted me to install Marshmallow a couple of weeks ago. All was good to begin with, but now I'm notiicing that every time I play MP3 files from an external hard drive or USB through KODI, SPMC or VLC the audio will often stutter, jump or break up. Argh! I have been through the settings thoroughly and as it happens in all those media players it has to be the new software on the TV causing it. How can something as simple as playing an MP3 be beyond these TV's now???? Really frustrated. Can anyone provide any help at all please, it's driving me crazy. 

profile.country.GB.title
TWLeebo

I finally ran the Marshmallow update yesterday. It all went fine (other than a black screen for 15 minutes which had me worried!). I certainly didn't get the results everyone else did with regards picture quality, in fact my picture looked significantly worse than before the update. It improved a lot after putting all my settings back in, but I have this niggling doubt that it is worse, not better. Video aspect ratio issue does seem fixed but I had another instance of playing a video (via the stock app) and the picture settings were completely locked (in fact that's pretty much the message that popped up on screen). It seems to be HDR enabled files and as I have the KD-43X8305C model which doesn't (really) have HDR, that may be where the problems lies. It is really quite annoying though as some colours look overly vivid.

PS

I had to reply to a post on this thread, as I can't find the "Add Post" button and I've tried both Firefox and IE using this forum. Can anyone tell me how to post without first replying to an existing post?