Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.GB.title
Testcard

Am I correct in assuming that the “download to USB stick” only works on a PC  and not a Mac?

profile.country.GB.title
joelippa

@Si_Hill wrote:

@joelippaYou can update the TV via USB quite easily, the updates are available on the TV support page linked below.

However I would strongly advise against updating your KD-65XE8596, I have the same TV as you and updated when the first version of Oreo came out and it 'broke' my TV.  It got stuck in a permanent reboot loop when connected to the internet.  The 2nd update wasn't any better so I'm not prepared to try this latest one.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-65xe8596

Cheers @Si_Hill yes I'm aware of how to I could follow Sony's "official" usb install approach. I won't be going down that road and to be honest I'm not even sure if I'm going to "upgrade" to Oreo at all.

Nougat appears to work well enough and is stable enough here and given anecdotal disaster stories including your own + hearing about Google's forced ads in the home screen area, my trust in any upgrade not making things worse is worn very thin.

profile.country.FI.title
Timo_S
Explorer

No 8.0 update yet available in Finland?

Haven't even got the previous (v6.5830) version yet - so still in 7.0. Yet, glad to see that seems those annoying ARC and A/V receiver issues should have been finally ironed out...!

Still haven't put autoupdate on = will check manually...

profile.country.GB.title
Sees01
Explorer

55XE8577  Firmware v6.6520, wired lan, DLNA

At 7.0 Android ( box ver. firmware, dont now ver. ) - all works perfect, after update - video ( sony apk), VLC, Kodi - laggint sound - *.TS file's ( 1080i), dont open some - *.AVI files.  Any idea? 

P.S. There i can download old Android 7.0 firmware's?

profile.country.GB.title
DEViANCE75

You can't downgrade afaik.
profile.country.GB.title
DEViANCE75

It would be nice to downgrade if one has issues, not sure ehy Sony don't snd won't allow it

profile.country.GB.title
Sees01
Explorer

@DEViANCE75 wrote:

It would be nice to downgrade if one has issues, not sure ehy Sony don't snd won't allow it

Any solutions? Mb someone have old firmware's? 

profile.country.GB.title
Si_Hill

You cannot downgrade even if you have old firmware, its not possible.

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

Much to my surprise, Sony CRO called me today to apologise for my 65XE and 65XF models constant reboots and multiple main board changes, and offered me an XG9505 in exchange. Credit where it is due.

profile.country.GB.title
Si_Hill

@miscofiexcellent news.  My 65XE has been in for a board change and been returned.  Its all working fine at the moment but I'm really not looking forward to it auto updating to Oreo.